ZGI cigar box logo

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

James_Juno
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

ZGI cigar box logo

Post by James_Juno »

Anyone have any theories what the cigar box logo in Antharia Jack's shop represents?

http://www.casco.net/~preddym/cigar.JPG
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: ZGI cigar box logo

Post by DataAngel »

Good question... I am a cigar smoker, I shall research and tell you what I find.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Could it be some sort of latch or lock on the box? I am not 100% sure, as blowing it up takes away a lot of the details, but the pieces of the design seem to fit together.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

It could be a made up logo of Antharia Cigars or Flathead Dynasty Cigars or something like that. But it almost looks like the Montecristo logo off of the cigar, not the box they come in. I can't pin it down 100% just yet, but I am willing to bet it may just be a Montecristo... I will keep thinking and looking.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Gr ... inside.jpg
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

I see a clenched fist, pointed right to left, with a dagger blade going through it or behind it, left to right.

The wall hangings and symbols throughout ZN have hidden meaning, so I just know this cigar box logo in ZGI is telling us something.

DataAngel, I suspect if it is connected to the Flatheads or to Antharia, it will be found elsewhere in game (or maybe even in ZN, in the case of the Flatheads).  I'll start by having a close look around elsewhere at some of my saved game points in ZGI.

My OCD lives on!
DiamondGenerator

Post by DiamondGenerator »

Look for similar symbols to it as well, like ones that aren't that, but could be in the same family or sequence. It made me think of maybe part of a language (Why? No idea.), so if I owned the game myself, I might look for things that could be in the same, well, alphabet as this in other places.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Hmm, I don't see how it looks anything like a hand around a dagger. Also flip the picture so its upside-down, so it can be viewed as though it was being opened facing the humidor from the front.
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

I still see the fist and the dagger.  The hand is not "around" the dagger --- the dagger is pointed down into the knuckles.  I've traced the fist in red and the dagger in green.  The fist is the right hand, laying on its side.

I have seen this somewhere.
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

OK, I found the symbol elsewhere in ZGI.  It's on the flags in front of Frobozz Electric:

http://www.casco.net/~preddym/fbe.JPG

It's also on flags flying behind the Inquisitor during his speeches in the introductory movie.  So it seems to be the moniker of Mir Yannick and of Frobozz Electric.  Which makes sense, since the cigars are Frobozz Electric Auto-lighting cigars.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

yeah i see lol, this is fun, Zork so rules. An odd moniker though. I wonder the meaning behind it? Rule with an iron fist? Kill all those that oppose? Sounds like tyranny which is what was happening against magick at the time.
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

Good questions.  Now that I look at it, I don't think it's a dagger.  Looks like a spike or a hammer.  And the palm of the hand is lit up, as if grasping a fireball or something.  Maybe grasping magic, as if to contain it within an "iron fist."
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yeah I see the light too, no not like that, but in the fist. :-P

As for the item in the back, it is hard to make out exactly what it is, perhaps grab a screen grab from the intro video and post it.
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

I tried, but I'm not sure how to get a screen capture from the movie.

I'll look around the game some more.
DiamondGenerator

Post by DiamondGenerator »

I initially thought the "dagger" looked like a screw, but hey...
Have you tried the "print screen" key when the video is going?
James_Juno

Post by James_Juno »

Yes, that is how I took the other caps.  But "print screen" doesn't work on the video.

I'm thinking it might be a screw also, a symbol I could imagine Yannick using to "lock down" magic.

I'm still doing some CSI on other areas of the game.  We'll get to the bottom of this yet.