Great discovery for Neverwinter Nights! (on topic)

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

Great discovery for Neverwinter Nights! (on topic)

Post by Reaver »

Well, after having Neverwinter Nights for my computer for some time, I recently decided to go looking for Modules to download to play (other games created by users).  And what should I find?

Zork I.

For those of you who are interested, this is a Dungeons & Dragons version of Zork I.  You need the following to play it:

Neverwinter Nights 1.68
SoU (Shadows of Undretine)
HotU (Hordes of the Underdark)
CEP v2.0 (Community Expansion Pack, available at link supplied below)

If you don't have Neverwinter Nights, but are interested, buy Neverwinter Nights Diamond.  It includes both SoU and HotU which are required for the module.

Here's a link to the site to get it.  I haven't tested the full version yet, but will when it finishes downloading.  Two screenshots are included.

Good luck to those who download it!

Zork 1 Module:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Mo ... il&id=5252

CEP v2.0:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Ha ... il&id=7000
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Great discovery for Neverwinter Nights! (on to

Post by DataAngel »

Interesting, sounds nifty.  I only ever got halfway through NWN, and that was 40 hours and not even starting on the expansions. If it is really worth it, I can always borrow it from my friend again. Let me know.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

That is awesome! I don't have the game, but I'll look into getting it for the chance to play a 'new' Zork. The graphics look pretty good, too.
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

I'm unfamiliar with NWN, but Zork 1 looks pretty cool.
I wonder if those creatures in the first screenshot are supposed to be grues...heh, I always imagined a grue to look like a giant, shaggy wig with eyes and sharp teeth.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

The creatures in the screen shot are the guardian spirits of Hades.  The grues are for the most part invisible.  The spirits are immune to damage and just laugh at you.

The thief just shows up randomly, just like in the text adventure.  So far, it is hasn't deviated from the text adventure at all.  It is a fun recreation of Zork at this point.
DiamondGenerator

Of course they are! Silly me. :)
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I bought and installed the game and all the add-ons last night. Right now I'm wandering around underground and getting the feel of the game. It is cool to be able to play Acacia- my 2nd DM- 'in the flesh,' so to speak. I'll add her actual picture as soon as I figure out how everything works.

I've had a few graphical issues- Acacia puts her arm through walls and half the house and trees disappear from certain angles. The underground looks really good so far and the fight with the troll went smoothly. I'm chalking up some of the awkward gameplay moments to my lack of experience with Neverwinter Nights.  I'll update with my progress as I go along
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Yeah, ufortunately, the clipping and sometimes-disappearance of scenery is inherent to Neverwinter Nights, not the Zork module.

But as you said, what is great is you can create an approximation of YOUR mental image of the hero.  You still decide who and what the hero is to you.  Although it is advisable to stick with a class that can use swords.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I finished the module last night. I loved it. The fight with the thief was tougher than in the original. After all, all you had to do in the text game was type 'attack thief' when the time came and that was that. I had to raise Acacia's (a Half-Elf Paladin.) level by 5 to make it work.

I liked some of the little differences, like being able to rest and the changes in the weather. The boat looked great, too.

The mazes took a bit of fiddling, but I eventually worked through them. I now know the coal mine by heart. lol.

Overall it was just a wonderfully faithful adaption of the game. I definitely recommend it! I read that he is working on adapting Zork II right now. I think the whole trilogy should adapt very well. Beyond Zork would be a great one, too. It was already written as a RPG, so the format would be no problem. I'm not sure how the creature creation works. There probably aren't any Discipline Crabs or Minxes in NWN, but perhaps an approximation could be found.

Thanks to Reaver for posting this!
DiamondGenerator

Working on Zork 2? My favorite installment! I may end up having to get this game when that happens...
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Sounds like I'll be borrowing NWN soon. :-}
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Yeah, he is supposed to be working on Zork II.  Hopefully he will do at least the original trilogy.  It's been fun to play a graphical version of one of the text adventures.  I haven't finished the module yet since I've been busy the past week, but I will finish it soon.

Word of advice for those who haven't played it yet:
if you pop into the Thief's vault and leave without killing him, he will hound you for the rest of the game.