Quake 3 and RTCW, yes this is Zork related

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Not Afgncaap5

Quake 3 and RTCW, yes this is Zork related

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

I know adventure games and FPSs usually aren't owned by the same people.  However, does anyone here have Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or maybe Quake 3?  I'm working on a map of Port Foozle.  It's rough right now, but wanted to know what people think.  It's really just practice in realtime editing, should the Morrowwind idea go through.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Quake 3 and RTCW, yes this is Zork related

Post by DataAngel »

no, sorry I have neither :-{ Every copy of Q3 I have d/led and burned doesn't work or the key is defunct. I would like to see it though, take a few screenshots and post them.
Andy
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Andy »

Wolfenstein most likely wouldn't run on this poor thing, but I have every intention of one day buying Quake 3. So yeah, go for it, would be cool :)
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

I realize I haven't replied to this in a while.  The problem is there is really nothing much to show at this point.  I'm learning the program as I make Port Foozle.  I still cannot figure out how to make custom textures.  Every manual I find online doesn't mention it, or refers to Quake 3.  So as of right now only the mere geometry of the area would resemble Port Foozle.  Therefore I think it's a bit early to upload, that and apparenly DataAngel is the only one interested.
The Lensman

Post by The Lensman »

I realize I'm probably stating the obvious, so apologies if you've already done this, but you might try looking at sites like PlanetQuake.com or sites heavily in the Q3 community. There'll be forums where you can ask questions and get answers in a timely fashion. I have access to both games, but am not familiar enough with QRadient (or whatever the editor is called) to answer your question. I liked the Unreal Tournament Editor as it was a bit easier for me to use, though I never mastered it. It was like the 3d version of Duke Nukems Build Engine (a very sweet engine for it's day and the most user friendly of the FPS level editors).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to build maps with FF's engine. It looks like it needs 3d Studio Max, which I don't have. But I'm trying to work on a couple of Zork skins. I'll be off for the next week, so hopefully I'll have a few uploaded to the web by then. I plan on looking into Dungeon Siege for a Zork mod of some type, but I need a better machine to use that game.
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

The engine I'm using is called GtkRadiant.  Which I happen to prefer over UnrealEd, but that's just me, then again, I'm not sure that's the Unreal TOURNAMENT engine, but that's irrelevant.  As I mentioned before, any manuals I find (like the ones on Q3 sites) deal with Q3, not RTCW.  So they say put xxx in the /baseq3 directory or something, well since I only have RTCW I hae no /baseq3 directory.  I've found out how to do custom textures, so really all I need to figure out is sound.

What was the FF engine you were referring to?  As for 3dsmax, DataAngel may be able to help.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

lol, may be able to help with 3DSMax, well I guess haha, I don't know it all that well and I want to learn Maya, but I don't have the time I used to anymore. But how can I help?
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

I meant DataAngel could help The Lensman in getting 3dsmax.  Though I would like to know what the FF engine is and these skins The Lensman mentioned.
The Lensman

Post by The Lensman »

The FF stands for "Freedom Force", a tactical superhero mod that's very customizable. As it stands, I'm not sure what I can do with my current set up. I can make skins for the game, I've already made about twelve or so, mostly original creations. As soon as a "male with sword" mesh is released, I plan on making an Adventurer skin. Right now I'm trying to decide on a few skins to create as well as a couple of "hero files" (the files that describe your hero's attributes) The cool thing is that you not only create powers, but you can rename the power itself. So you can create a blinding flash that will blind you enemies and call it a "Frotz" spell. Cool, eh?

What I can't do without 3D StudioMax is the create the landscapes myself. I was hoping it would have a self contained editor like Quake or UT. That's one of the reasons I'm looking into Dungeon Siege, to see what kind of editor it uses. By the way, Heroes of Might and Magic IV has an editor that allows for underground areas. As I've stated before, HaH3's editor was pretty simple to use.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

you know, if you guys registered you could PM each other... do that when you can and then I can PM you guys when I need to. Thanks
Afgncaap5

Post by Afgncaap5 »

Ack!  You guys should stop moving these boards without telling me, you know.

I don't really have much to say in the way of this discussion because I don't know much about either game.  I'll just ask a question that I believe the answer is "yes" to: Does this map allow people to play it in a style similar to the games you get the programming language for?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Moving them? its not my fault you don't check my website :-P