Zork is still going

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Zork is still going

Post by Basse »

I can see that people is posting on this bord still. Good. I'm a lazy person so I'm only writing fan fics now. But I'm regaing my former spirit. My Shanbar site though I've almost forgotten about. Oh well.

Still I don't wanna see Zork shrink into a board were people post about every second month and some few scattered sites that updates once every year! I have a promise for you guys. I seriously want to go into the computer game business. You know, programming. The promise is that if I ever get to forfill my dream I WILL try somehow to restore Zork.

Maybe I'll convice my boss to buy the licence for Zork or, if I own the business myself, I'll personally talk to Activision about it.

I know it seems like a faint promise. I'm only 16 and graduation is in some 3 years time. And then of course there is university. But a promise is a promise.
Not Afgncaap5

Re: Zork is still going

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

First off it seems a bit harsh to criticize sites for not updating.  When Zork (for all intents and purposes) IS at it's current point dead, what new is there to report??

Excuse me for being cynical more so, but haven't we all said we were going to bring back Zork?  Oh I'm going to bring back Zork...Yep, the petitions, the online petitions, Z:THE, the Morrowind Mod, it's just the same stuff over and over.  Even if you went through graduation and College and got a degree in programming (not saying that you won't), most games..well ALL major games, aren't made by only one person.  Then there is the obvious hurdle that you pointed out of the license, I frankly don't think Activision would give you a response one way or the other.  Unless you started making money, then they'd come up and take credit or something stupid.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

First of all, please don't take this as an insult as it is not meant as one, but please, cool down Not Afgncaap5. :)  

His comments about updating did not seem like an insult to me, especially since he said that he hasn't updated his.  Concerning posting on this board, I check it almost daily, but usually only reply to others.

And sites don't need news to update.  They can post small essays, fanfics, opinion polls, whatever.  If I sound mad, please, I am not.  I am quite happy, actually, because I have regained my Zorkian spirit recently as well, even though my parents are now getting a divorce.

And I know, some of you may have been around when Zork I was released and since RtZ was the first one I played, I may sound like a know-it-all, but I care very deeply about Zork.  It is the only adventure game that I enjoy playing.  I go back and play my copies over and over (except RtZ.  Can't get it to work).  So please, cut Basse some slack and keep in mind, comments that seem like insults aren't always supposed to be.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Of course It wasn't meant as an insult nor a critisism, it's fact! Yes I know that you can't update because Zork is dead but that's excactly my point.

Look Not Afgncaap 5, I know it is going to be hard making Zork going again but I've made a promise. You may belive me or not but I don't really care. I'm going to stick to that promise. I'll try and make Zork work again as hard as possible and if I fail then, well, then I fail. That's all there is to it.

Anyway, I don't think that getting the licence of Zork from Activison will be all that hard. It doesn't seem they're very interested in Zork anymore so why should they care about the rights for it?
Last edited by Basse on Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Andy »

I also need to do an update for my web site. Although there is no news, I have two pieces of fan fiction to put up. Which I was going to do yesterday, but ended up going out with a friend instead. I've only just got back, as I stayed over at her place as well.

I will definately do it by the end of the week, but I don't see what else I could ever update it with.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I get emails from people about once a week about Zork and something on my site etc. In fact I got an email from someone that had made some interesting ZN wallpapers I plan to put up soon. And Basse sent me some fanfic I need to add. Theres not much you can do to updating except redesigns, but anything you do helps right?
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

That's what I like about our small community. We've still got some spirit, we still belive that something could still be done. But of course we need more cos there isn't much chances that big companies like Activison will listen to us.

So that's why I'm making a promise to restore Zork. Yes I know it take more than one person but that doesn't mean I can't persuade people.

I've said it before and I'll said it again. My promise is faint but it is none the less a promise. And then people can come to me and tell me it's impossible but I'll still try.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Heck with it.  I promise to do my best to help restore Zork as well.  I can't stand to see it fall.  So, I have now made my promise.
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

Wow, I didn't mean it to be that harsh.  I mean sure we'd all like Zork to be back.  I just didn't know if you were being naive or anything.  Well I'm apparently a bad guy on this board so now if you do get the license and make a game, you could battle the evil NotBoz or something.

Now don't think I don't care about Zork.  Zork Nemesis was one of the first, if not THE first adventure game I played.  (yes I know, late in series, worst example, etc)  I was involved in Z:THE, I did the few prerendered shots and all.  I would do other stuff, I guess I am passively doing that RTCW map, but I'm more worried about getting a job right now.  
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I don't think that anyone thinks of you as a bad guy.  And if it helps, from what I have read on several sites, I seem to be one of the only Zork fans to have liked Return to Zork, especially since it was my first adventure game.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Actually I really liked RTZ, albeit a bit tough though.

This brings a good question to mind.
Why is it that all the people that claim to be fans don't like RTZ or ZN? I mean as stated before Zork has always been evolving and with such a thought in mind; you cannot abandon those games, because they are a part of Zork and are Zork. So if you still feel they aren't Zork then you need to reevaluate your reasons for being a Zork fan in the first place.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

I like Zork Nemesis AND Return to Zork! Their're actually one of my favourit games. In fact Zork Nemesis was MY first Zork game too. Before I knew anything about Zork or that there was more games. Then, a small time after I got ZN, I found Return to Zork in a store. So that's how it all started for me.

Man, I get all sad thinking about old times  :'(.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

yeah, me too :'( I miss the good ole days of computing, adventure games like Kings Quest were the best and everyone I knew was playing it. Now games come and go and 80% of them suck. :'( I hope Zork comes back, I miss the days when it was still new. :'(
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I liked all of the Zork games that I have played, which has been Zork I - ZGI, and Dungeon.

Talking about trying to bring Zork back has gotten me thinking about some possibilities for new Zork games, and I don't mean by changing styles.

Something I thought of is this.  What do you guys think of a new Zork with a story similar to the original Zork Trilogy, although not necessarily with the DM ending?  I mean, no towns and large numbers of people or saving the world, but instead finding treasures, solving puzzles, exploring the underground, and occassionally fighting some monster, creature, person etc.?  This is just something that came to mind recently.
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

Just because a person says there's a Zork fan doesn't mean they have to like every aspect about it.  I don't know if I can find any Star Wars fan that likes Jar Jar (or ANYONE that liked him)