need some Beyond Zork help

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

need some Beyond Zork help

Post by DrPaul »

I've been playing Beyond Zork for a couple of days.  I did all the stuff in the cellar, got the onion, did all the stuff in the Lighthouse, vanquished the MonkeyGrinder and collected a stave, wand, rod and stick plus a few scrolls.  

The problem is that my character doesn't seem to have enough intelligence points to be able to read the runes on the scrolls.  So I can't use any of the scrolls.  I ask the old lady in the magic shoppe.  She tells me what they do, but doesn't tell me what the runes say.  My character has 10 intelligence points.  

The Invisiclues guide says that I either have to increase my character's intelligence, or start over with a 'smarter' character.  I sure don't want to have to start over again.  Other attributes have increased in the game, but intelligence hasn't budged.  Does anyone now how I can make my character smarter without having to start over?  

Thanks
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: need some Beyond Zork help

Post by DataAngel »

hack your save file? :D
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

hack your save file?
There's an idea.  

After I started over with a little higher intelligence setting, I *still* couldn't read all the scrolls!  I was getting very impatient with this game.  After looking through the manual for anyting that affects intelligence, I saw that Red Herring was considered brain food.  But where to find it?  However, when I bumped into a girl in the South Market in Gurth, she dropped a fish cake, which I retrieved.

After eating the fish cake, I didn't see any immediate change, but a few turn later my head began to ache and all of a sudden, I was much smarter!  I should eat fish more often!

So I've been able to walk the Etherial Planes of Atrii, dine with the Implementors, explore the Fields of Frotzen and win the keys to the city in Froon.  Not bad!

Anyway, intelligence problem solved, for the time being.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

lol, good job!
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

You do have to watch those attributes at the beginning. I think I started Brynna out with 14 intelligence, but if you can read the scrolls you should be okay.  If you need more, there's a potion that will help bring up intelligence somewhere.  (The potion locations are random.)

One thing: Compassion is more important than it seems.

There are ways to bring that up, too, if you didn't start out with a lot.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

One thing: Compassion is more important than it seems.  
I'm a little worried about that.  I did not start out with much Compassion.  Only 7%.
In order to get past all those creatures in the Cellar and the Lighthouse I put
most of my potential into endurance, strength and dexterity.  Good Adventurer
qualities.

In retrospect, I could have traded some of my Dexterity for Compassion since
Dexterity is easy to increase with Moss of Mareilon (which seems to be all over
the place.)

So I guess I'll have to do some good deeds to raise my Compassion score.

I am NOT starting over again (I hope.)
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

P.S.

We had Sushi for dinner yesterday.  Man, do I feel smart today!
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I think you should be okay. I believe I started Brynna around 8 or so and everything was fine. IIRC, there are three ways to raise your compassion, one of which is necessary for a certain puzzle. I don't think the other two are too hard to recognize.

I can't stand the taste of fish, alas. My intelligence points need to be raised via potions. ;)