License

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

License

Post by Nemesis »

I sent an email to Activision support about liscensing and here's the response.

Response (Kenneth Chia) - 12/03/2002 10:12 PM
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write our customer support department.

You can send us your question and I can forward it to a supervisor for you, or for information on licensing any of Activsion's titles or associated intellectual property content, please contact our main telephone number at (310) 255-2000.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: License

Post by DataAngel »

that doesn't help us, we've given up on the license to the game, lets not even really worry about it anymore until we lets say have the game done?
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Actually, I recieved a new email saying that calling the number [(310) 255-2000] is the way to go if you're interested in licensing. If you guys won't call, I sure will...just to see their price etc. This kinda makes me the 'licenser' person. You DID mention wanting Activision to give the rights to us not too long ago.
Wolf
A white house, what?

Post by Wolf »

It doesn't help you? Screw that, if you have the opportunity go for it. You'd get a bigger audience if you buy the license now, send something to Game Informer, Gamespot, or something and people might take you seriously. I dunno why you'd want to make a game of such large proportions as FREEWARE.

Do you know who's gonna go for it, who'll go and download the game? The people on this board and die hard Zork fans some other places. I say a count of 30 downloads at the most. Stir up some stuff, make game markets say, "Hey, people want Zork again, and people are making Zork again, let's buy a Zork game again."
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Actually, we may get some more than that.  I belong to several different messages boards, two of which are VERY large.  When the game is done, I am going to ask them to try it out.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

ok cool :-} hey id buy the license for $20 ;-} because I don't have $1k to spare.
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

Just 1K?  I'm pretty sure licensing things like that are a bit pricier.  Now don't say "Well Activision isn't using it", they hadn't made DOOM in a long while either, but are making a new one.  So they like to hold on to their licenses.

And if we got a license in the sense of permission, where Activision would still own the license, then we'd have to give out a percent of our earnings, which I think would be nil anyway, but they probably wouldn't believe us and control all the distrubution.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

DOOM was an ID franchise name, like wolfenstein or quake, they'll always make those games. Its a popular name and everyones played them, so they know the name will sell. With Zork its WAY different.

Either freeware or we get the license im not willing to do any half n half crap with ANY corporation. Period end of story.
Not_Afgncaap5

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

I feel the same way, I don't like half n half, I don't even drink coffee.  I just also doubt we'd OWN the license, because then we'd need some ONE person to own it, or some team, but we have no team name.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

What's wrong with Inactivision? Or perhaps NOT Activision? Eh?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

lol hey id buy it and I would allow US to use it, its for Zork not any ONE person.