Beyond Zork endgame help please?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Modox
A white house, what?

Beyond Zork endgame help please?

Post by Modox »

Am at the shady wall, have opened the door, have the jar and can blow mirrors and aim them. For the life of me I cannot find a combination of mirror locations and directions that will send light into the dark underground rooms. Can someone tell me exactly which room the first mirror goes in, and how to face it? Should I get a message about a beam of light if I am successful? Thanks!
Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: Beyond Zork endgame help please?

Post by Afgncaap5 »

If memory serves, the first mirror should either be just outside the cave or just inside the cave (note: there are actually two entrances to the cave in different parts of the game world.) The beams of light go in a straight line until they strike a surface, such as a wall. You'll want to place a new mirror everywhere that you want the light to change direction (if you place one before then, the path of light can be blocked by the mirror itself.)

I'll have a chance to play through the game later this weekend I think (busy until then) but in the meanwhile, try this: go to wherever the last place you can see light is. If that's outside the cave, then set up a mirror outside the cave, and turn it west or north or whatever direction gets the light to shoot into the cave (I can't remember if it tells you that a beam of light is directed down your path or not, I'm afraid.) If the interior of the cave has light, try setting your mirror there.

I may be wrong, but I think that you're going to want to point the mirrors in cardinal directions (N, S, E or W) because most of the cave's tunnels are non-cardinals. So if light is coming in from the northeast, and you want to go northwest, point the mirror north to give it something to bounce off of.

Sorry I can't be more help just now, but see if any of that works. If you're still having trouble I may be able to lend a better hand in a few days.
Garius_Lupus
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by Garius_Lupus »

I think the key is starting at the right entrance - I remember being stuck there for a while because I was starting at the wrong end of the cave system.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

IIRC you need to start at the rock wall and make a mirror in the first room and turn it south. I also remember that it is very important to dispatch the lucksuckers quickly or the mirrors will pop.
Modox
A white house, what?

Post by Modox »

GOT IT! Need to open the door at the ROCK WALL in the jungle area, which is where the mirrors go. I was at the SHADY WALL near the INTERSECTION on the western part of the main game area. Thanks all for steering me to a new location!
Afgncaap5

Post by Afgncaap5 »

Are you sure it won't work at the Shady Wall, though? I recall it being doable at either entrance. Did I play a different version of the game than everyone else, or is my memory faulty?
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I could be misremembering, but I think you can go in from the Shady Wall if you open the Rock Wall first. The mirrors won't work from the Shady Wall entrance if the Rock Wall is closed.