Zork: Prototype, Demo of future Zork game!

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

neutonm
A white house, what?

Zork: Prototype, Demo of future Zork game!

Post by neutonm »

Hello brothers,

In previous topic (Here) i uttered tonz of words about the future of Zork game and promised to show to our good'ole fans a short demo. So here it is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8rmww (*.rar/106mb)

This is a short demo with 2 stages and one soundtrack. It shows actually that the new game similar to ZGI can be actually materialized soon by indie game developers since Activision gives no brick to zork universe anymore. Demo has some features excluded:
- quick access inventory/spell tab
- hand icon

So the global question appears in front of the public: Do you want new Zork game based on ZGI gameplay?. I'd like to point out again the fact that it is going to be shareware (meaning not free) with FullHD(1920×1080/1080p) graphics, decent soundtracks, high quality sounds and professional graphics/animations in future - all what is need is a whistle from the public. If people want new game then construction will start on Summer 2013 and will last 3-6 months. Game will run on Win/Mac/Linux + android/ios/win phone platforms. Otherwise it's not worth wasting time on it.

PS: demo graphics are not of high quality and will be completely changed. The only here what you will see/hear 100% is mouse icon, soundtrack and original ZGI gameplay.

System requirements:
128mb ram, DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory, ~120mb of free hdd memory.

Some notes:
- Demo will run only on Windows platform.
- 1024x768x16 minimum resolution.
- To disable fullscreen mode, run executable with -fullscreen parameter.
- It takes about 35-50 seconds to load. Up at 48% of loading progress it will stuck so don't be fooled by this that game lagged out - it loads few fat animations.

Thank you for your attention adventurers!

PSS: If possible could you please, dear admins, reupload demo on this site?
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Re: Zork: Prototype, Demo of future Zork game!

Post by KM3K »

Wow! That was great! I really enjoyed it. You got it all working really quick. I'd love to see more of this. The graphics look good too. The mouse panning speed felt a little too quick for me, but it was definitely playable.

I think your plans to support many platforms and make a game in the style of ZGI sound excellent. I'd love to see more!

Here's a mirror of the file: http://www.thezorklibrary.com/fan/Zork Prototype.rar
neutonm
A white house, what?

Post by neutonm »

Thank you very much.

Fortunately i've updated my website and included Zork linkgame: http://www.neutonmouse.com/projects/zorkprototype. Currently i'm doing remake on this demo trying to port it on Linux and Mac platforms via CPP. Deeds are going very well and game runs much more faster than this version of demo. On its complete progress i will inform about it here.

You can also download soundtrack on the link provided above!!!
minissa2003
A white house, what?

Post by minissa2003 »

OMG can't believe this is happening. This makes 4 of my favorite abandoned series that I've read are being resurrected in the past 24 hours. Do you need any writers (offering to volunteer here). I'm a published fantasy writer, have game dialogue tree experience, have been spending time in the GUE since Zork 1 came out and was crushed to hear ZGI sold poorly enough that Activision's plans for a trilogy got scrapped. Off to play the demo. The screen shot looks lovely! (Seriously, TLJ and Tex Murphy have very successful campaigns going on Kickstarter; if you're not funded, underfunded, or just want to see what Zork's fan base might cough up to help, this might be a way to go.)
neutonm
A white house, what?

Post by neutonm »

Well the game provided here is just a very short demo version of what is going to be in future!

I'll will take it into consideration about crowd funding. This will boost game quality to the Everest peak.

Sure! Share your contacts via PM and we'll talk about it with more details if you are serious about that : )
neutonm
A white house, what?

Post by neutonm »

I've released soundtrack video today. Don't be shy to travel through zork realm once more ; )
Definitely inspired by Zork Universe, all it crackers and Morgan's original Soundtrack in ZGI.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNdxpA-FW-I
neutonm
A white house, what?

Post by neutonm »

Hail Zorkers,

Writing this to keep you sure that project is not abandoned! As i promised the zork fate will be decided this summer.

I rewrote game engine which will be used in complete future zork game. This so called future game will run in all possible popular platforms (win/linux/mac + ios/android = already tested). I'm planning to re-release demo version with additional levels and features - this, of course, will be used for kickstarter project, which will be launched after finishing my current project, as a proof that idea is possible to materialize.

"I'll be back!"
IvarMM
A white house, what?

Post by IvarMM »

I've only recently stumbled upon this magnificent project!
I was wondering if it is still on track and if progress is still made. I would very much like to contribute to the music of any upcoming Zork game, but I started following you on SoundCloud and found that you could well manage that on your own :) Pity for me!

Very eager to learn about the progress of this game!
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

How's this project coming along?
neutonm
A white house, what?

Post by neutonm »

Well, currently i'm dedicating less time to it but nevertheless still - zork is moving, though like a turtle. Not much to tell because right now i'm focusing on making 3d scenes for it.

IvarMM and I set a contact and now he will take a part in extending the demo.