H2G2

If you must talk about something that isn't about grue slaying, adventuring or even drinking some of that tasty rye, then do it here.

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

H2G2

Post by DataAngel »

I started H2G2 last week on Friday. I am reading them in DOC format on my PDA. Anyone that knows me knows I dislike reading books. But as it were I finished book 1 and am halfway through book 2. I am REALLY enjoying them thoroughly and someday plan to read The Wheel of Time as well.

But the good news is that NOW that I have found the wonders of ebooks on my pda I love reading haha. Of course the books got to be good but at least now I am enjoying reading again.

Its taking me about 4 days per book. I read on BART and on breaks at work. Some of it I read at home too.
Last edited by DataAngel on Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: H2G2

Post by ezekiel »

H2G2 isnt that the BBC thing doesnt it have some releation to Hitchhikers?
There is something on Zork on there but not much i think
that website has always confused me
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I think he's talking about the books by Douglas Adams.
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

Whos talkin about Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy me or Dat well i am there great books the last one mostly harmless is the best if a little bit darker also try the Dirk Gently books
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

You know, in addition to the book series, and a BBC radio series made into a movie (which is available on DVD), Douglas Adams also collaborated with Infocom to create the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy adventure game.  

You can play it on line at Douglas Adam's wevbsite, or download it and play it on your PC or PDA.  It is an extremely fun game to play.  I will look for the download link and post it later.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yes I am refering to the books, and I also have the game on my PC.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Although I have to disagree, I think Life, the Universe, and Everything was the best. I didn't care too much for the last two books. I also have The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, but I haven't read it yet, is it any good?
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

Long dark tea time of the soul is quite good yeah the DVD isnt a movie its a tv series and a bad one at that
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

For any of you who don't have the H2G2 game, you can play it online here:
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocom.html

Or download the z-code file from here:
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.z5

To play the z-code file on your PC or PDA, you need anyone of the freely available z-code interpretors.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

P.S.
If you click on the z-code link I posted above, your screen will fill up with a lot of code.  Just save page as hhgg.z5 (make sure you type the z5 extension), and that's all there is to it.

The z5 file is not intended for download, but the Java applet that runs the online game requires the z5 file, and that is what you're sownloading.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I agree.  I think Life, the Universe, and Everything is the best book in the series.  And yes, Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul is a good book.  Both Dirk Gently books were good, IMO.

Also, I actually think that the TV show was pretty good considering the budget they had.  Although it isn't exactly the same as the books, but that is because every version of H2G2 is different.  Like the new movie that is being made.
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

the tv series was ok but not a great seller for the hitchhikers name but hopefully the movie by disney will be they are filming now i think spy glass are the studio filming
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Im a bit skeptical about anything other than reading the books of H2G2, I have heard on many accounts from many places bad stuff about the TV show and the movie. Even IF they were to actually make a new movie I would skeptical that it would be any good. Assumming its 5 books long, they probably won't satisfy my needs by making ONE movie.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

They are making a new movie, it's filming right now. And I believe it is only based on the first book.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Correct.  It is only based on the first book.  The script was written by Douglas Adams before he died, and Henson studies (the ones who did Farscape) are doing the alien effects, such as the Vogons.  Some of the casting choices are a bit controversial (Mos Def as Ford Prefect), while others are pretty good.  I believe it was Martin Freeman who is playing Arthur Dent.  The guy from Office Space.  Also, Guy from Galaxy Quest is playing Zaphod Beeblebrox.