H2G2

If you must talk about something that isn't about grue slaying, adventuring or even drinking some of that tasty rye, then do it here.

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: H2G2

Post by DataAngel »

Hmmm, they should use Zap Brannigan voice(sounds like Phil Hartman) from Futurama for Zaphod Beeblebrox. I mean shoot the characters do have MANY similarities.
ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by ezekiel »

I dont agree with the casting of Ford but hopefully it will pan out if the first film makes a lot of money they will probably do the rest of the books as films
Billy West is the voice of Zap he would be perfect voice although i dont know what he looks like
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well im on chapter 8 of book3. So far so good! The humor is getting a little dry and repetetive, but its still good.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Okie Dokie I wrapped up book3 and will start book4 tomorrow at work.

I like how Marvin keeps NOT dying lol and how arthur learned to fly.
Last edited by DataAngel on Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Once you've finished book 3, they just get worse. The third is probably the best.
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

no the last (5th) is the best i think 4 is also good but not as good as 5
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well I finished book 4 today, so far so good. Will start book 5 tom.

So far I have liked all the books, they are each unique and different in their own way. The first 2 are the same flavor and then 3 just gets obscure, book 4 almost just doesnt make any sense, so more obscure, but after you finish book 4 its makes more sense and is clearer on its purpose. Lets see what book 5 brings me.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I finished book 5... great books btw.

I already knew ahead of time that arthur was at the final place because I just figured that it would be another name for the earth used by the guy that kept getting killed... turns out it was the name of the club, but I was still figuring the same thing.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Well, in just 2 weeks the movie will be released. Douglas wanted to see it on the big screen since it was first written. Let's hope it would make him proud.
Last edited by Nemesis on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yep, im lookin forward to it!
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Can Not Wait.  This movie is going to be my birthday celebration.  I've been following it for at least a year, and love the casting decisions.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I recently picked up the DVD edition of the original H2G2 miniseries from the BBC. It follows the radio series almost exactly and has very few differences from the books (1 and 2). Of course there is additional humor that only works with a visual medium and it is done very well. I can only hope that the movie lives up to this, but this time around they didn't have Douglas around on the set and there's no real approval of the final product from him. Hope I can only.

I made a rather interesting discovery. It's been around for a month or two and maybe you've already seen it, but over at the BBC they have a flash version of the original Infocom text adventure with graphics and some simple controls, as well as the original text interface and descriptions intact. It reminds me of the early Sierra Apple games (pre-KQ), only better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

VERY COOL... game is hard, as I have yet to finish it, and I read the books, so it should be much easier now though.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

There is a nice interview here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/stevem.shtml
with Steve Meretzky, who was the Infocom author that worked with Douglas Adams on the H2G2 game.

He mentions in the interview that the game is pretty hard.  I've played it a few times so it doesn't seem too hard anymore, but some of the puzzles require some very far-out thinking.  Thank goodness there are bult-in hints.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Just saw the movie last night.  I personally thought it was great.  It wasn't perfect, and isn't necessarily my favorite version of the guide, but it was very enjoyable.  Mos Def did a great job as Ford, and everyone in the theater was laughing along at some of the things that happened.