Problems with installation

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Sue
A white house, what?

Problems with installation

Post by Sue »

I just bought a new computer which has a CD/DVD rom.  I've tried installing Zork GI (my old CD version) to no avail.  For some reason, it freezes and won't recognize the CD/DVD drive!  It's driving me crazy!  I miss my Zork GI!!  I have Windows XP.  Does anyone know if the DVD version will work with this?  I'd love to find out before I spend the money on the DVD version.  Thanks!
Nomad
A white house, what?

Re: Problems with installation

Post by Nomad »

From my experiences with ZGI I'd say the not detected drive is a hardware problem, not a software one.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I am sorry but I do not know, my friend has a DVD drive and I own the Zork DVD version, I COULD go and install it on his XP system and see if it works.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

But Sue has the CD version of ZGI.

Are you sure that drive is compatible with CD's as well as DVD's? If not, you'll need to stick your CD drive back in. I really don't know why you'd remove it anyway.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

A DVD drive should be fully compatible with ANY and ALL CDs. Its more the fact the OS won't run the game anyways. I do recall having issues running it myself when not in Win98.