RTZ Video Format?  Whaaa?

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Ruse
A white house, what?

RTZ Video Format?  Whaaa?

Post by Ruse »

After much struggling to get just the sound to work on my XP system, I was so happy when suddenly Trembyle popped up rambling on about his battery.  YAY!

Then...I came to the lighthouse.  For whatever reason the videos aren't running.  It flashes something about "cannot load..." and then stuff like Trembyle talking about the lighthouse keeper and the Keeper answering the door with his face in the little door, they go off.

After that I'm inside the lighthouse.  I can hear him talking, the music works fine...it's just those videos.

I downloaded DOSBox, but I can't make heads or tales of how to change settings.  Does anyone know what I should type/do to fix this issue?  Thanks!!  *sniffle*  I miss RTZ.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: RTZ Video Format?  Whaaa?

Post by DataAngel »

You know I have no idea, but I was considering trying out DosBox since I would like to ditch a win98 install... So I will let you know what happens and if I can try our RTZ soon, I will let you know.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I just installed DosBox... I was able to run Tyrian and Fuzzy Golf...
Things run a bit slow on my 1.6ghz, 512MB RAM. But when I buy my new PC... 3ghz, 1GB RAM... things should run great on the games that do run but run slowly. I will try RTZ tomorrow when I get home from work.

It wouldn't load Settlers 2, except for the cursor lol. Then it was scrolling a tons of SDL load errors, probably textures.
Last edited by DataAngel on Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruse
A white house, what?

Post by Ruse »

Thanks!  Wow...too bad it isn't easier to run our favorite old games.  We can run Atari games with a good emulator, but not something a few years older?  *sigh*

I wish you luck in getting things going on your end. :)
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I really have no clue. I was able to use DOSBox..er...right out of the box. No settings to change, just pop in the CD and play. There are some people around here who could help you but they've probably all died. This place just keeps getting more and more depressing.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well I tried it normally within windows 2000 and it loaded up, played the logo and the intro video... NO audio but it played really fast. As it went to load the actual game it crashed out.

Now when I tried it using DosBox it wouldnt load because it couldnt load the cdrom drivers properly. So I dont know what to tell you. :-{ If its garbled, you probably just want to check the emulation of VGA/CGA/Tandy etc. and try setting it from Auto to VGA. Also you might want to make sure that the audio card you have uses the same ports etc. that the emulator is loading up.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

With further testing, it just doesn't seem to emulate fast enough for anything except adventure games which have little no none realtime rendering. I tried Kyrandia and it was plenty fast.
Ruse
A white house, what?

Post by Ruse »

Kyrandia!  *sniffle*  I miss that game!!!  I wonder if I can find it anywhere.  I never got past the first copyright check cause my uncle lost the manual. :P  I'm gonna have to look around for that one.

As for RTZ, I spose I'll just see if it'll work on my dad's machine or my old desktop.  I did get it to work with ME once.  *shrugs*