Playing in a window in XP

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Cygnus
A white house, what?

Playing in a window in XP

Post by Cygnus »

Hello all!

I just used the instructions on my Zork Nemesis Installation to play cd-swap free.   EXCELLENT!.   Got in there and it was too fast, so i'm using cpu killer to get the game back down to a playable speed.  

My question is about playing in a window (in XP).  I have a widescreen monitor, which stretches the game a bit.   Is there a way to play the game in a window (preferably a 640x480 window)?  The resolution i'm in now is 1440x900.

Thanks, and LONG LIVE ZORK
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Playing in a window in XP

Post by DataAngel »

I haven't really tried anything to get it to play in a window... except why would you want to??? 640x480 is tiny, I suppose if it ran scaled to a larger size and in a window it would be ok... but I hardly noticed it being stretched.

Glad you got it running, glad you enjoy it still. :)
Cygnus
A white house, what?

Post by Cygnus »

Keeping it in a window on a widescreen monitor would put it in it's correct aspect ratio...that's the only reason i want to play it in a window.

I have loved Nemesis since i first bought it when it came out.  Before that, Return to Zork was the only other Zork game I had played.  I have never finished RTZ.  I've played through Nemesis MANY times! :)  

I think the atmosphere and music is what keeps drawing me back into Nemesis.  In fact, quite a few years ago, i used the audio program Total Recorder to record all of the game music.   I STILL listen to it constantly.  I love that stuff.  

I've been thinking about somehow contacting Mark Morgan (composer) and beg him for a copy of the music (purchase, of course) (and maybe some unreleased stuff from the nemesis game/ time period).  I absolutely LOVE the music in there!  I wish there was more of it.

I went to imdb to see if there was contact info, but you have to get a gold membership to get such info.

Anyway,  I don't think i'll ever get tired of that game or music (11 years and counting).

I'm going to buy my friends copy of Zork GI.   I never got to play that one, and i hear it was good.

Take it easy, and BTW, great site...i love seeing fansites of games from the past.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

well correct aspect ratio, but very small on the screen.

Yes the music is great. Feel free do d/l the stuff from TZL if what you have is better in game let me know.

Currently working on getting the vids from the game and when I do that I will have better quality audio files as well. 11 years... been a long time hasn't it?

Glad you enjoy the site, feel free to keep checking in, always something new added.