ZGI DVD problems

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

ZGI DVD problems

Post by ezekiel »

I recently got the dvd version of ZGI but when i try to install it under WinXP i run into two problems:
- First the installer doesnt recognise that i have to supported software dvd software
- Second if i ignore the first problem the installer crashes when it tries to copy the files to the hard disk which is strange as the CD version of ZGI installer works fine under WinXP

Can anyone help?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: ZGI DVD problems

Post by DataAngel »

i am not sure I understand the first question, but the DVD should install same as the CDs, only difference is that IF you have specific DVD software installed it will playback the higher quality video, otherwise the versions are identical. I have the software that works on my site under ZGI.
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

yeah i installed the software from your site, but it doesnt recognise it
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

not sure what you mean by doesn't recognize it, the game installs whether or not you have any DVD software installed. It only knows if its there when it runs and either gives you an error about dvd playback or loads up a Dolby Logo. What exactly is happening?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

i have finally tested both DVD and CD versions... neither one can find my drive... I have it set up as F:, so perhaps if it was under D: it may work. As of yet though no luck, it installs but cannot run and I find no .ini file to tell it where the drive is or any luck on a 2nd attempt.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I have had no luck installing the DVD on any of my 3 DVD enabled computers. It tells me I have to have a DVD drive installed, which I certainly DO. Sometimes I just get a message that says the disc isn't in the drive. My Z:GI CD will install, but not play, on my newest laptop. It's fine on my 2 year old desktop, though.

The CD really annoys me. I want Z:GI on all my computers! I was told it might be something to do with the graphics card being incompatible. Perhaps that is the trouble with the DVD too?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Not sure how the graphic card would make a difference, I mean shoot Nemesis and RTZ both run...

Is the DVD drive labeled as D: ? If not that might be something worth trying... Another option I haven't sat down to try yet is copying the entire DVD to a folder and setting it up as a virtual cd drive.

I'd like to play GI again, so figuring this out would be nice.
Quendorian_King
A white house, what?

Post by Quendorian_King »

hey everybody, anyone know where is a good place to pick up or order a copy of zgi? My discs are not in the best of condition and refuse to work.. i wouldn''t mind getting a dvd version tho

thanks
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

There are usually a couple on eBay. Another place to try is Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Zork-G ... 576&sr=8-2

That's where I got my newest Z:GI. There are quite a few there.
Quendorian_King
A white house, what?

Post by Quendorian_King »

does the dvd have nemesis on it too? Yeah,.. i saw it on amazon, but I'm from Canada and i searched amazon.ca but they only had instruction manuals.. I'm not sure if Your located outside the US you are allowed to order from amazon.com as opposed to .ca
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I don't think it matters unless it is an item they specifically say can't be shipped outside of the US. I have ordered from both the Canadian and UK Amazon sites with no trouble. As all the games are in the marketplace, you might want to check with the individual seller to make sure.

The DVD only has Z:GI. I don't think there is a DVD of Nemesis.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

The ZGI DVD has Nemesis on it and you can order from any site so long as they will ship to your location.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Interesting. I don't think it is on mine. Or if it is it didn't say so in the documentation. Mine's a Gateway promo, though.  
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I don't know about OEM products, the regular release of the DVD includes Nemesis. It is easy to just browse the CD and look for the nemesis folder.