Zork Nemesis can't save

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Mezka
A white house, what?

Zork Nemesis can't save

Post by Mezka »

Hi, i followed all your instructions to run this marvel of a game on windows XP, i installed it completely on my hd and all seemed to work perfect (i was at the end of my first excursion in the temple) before i tried to save my game... Anytime i want to save, the game will always stop to answer when i select one place in the save menu...it says something like : "are you sure you want to overwrite this file? then push on F4 or another button to cancel" (sorry i play the french version of the game) ...after that it stays stucked there no matter which button i push, i can move the zork cursor & click but nothing happens... the same occurs when i try to quit normally the game (with the same phrase involving the F4 button), the only solution is to kill the process...
Voila, it seems i'm the only one to have fallen on this problem, does someone know what i can do? I precise i'm logged in my XP session with an administrator account...
Thanks
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Zork Nemesis can't save

Post by MacCentris »

In the English Macintosh version, and as far as I know the Windows version too, it asks you to answer "yes" or "no"

Many users (new world gamers for example) do not realize it meant press "y" for yes, and "n" for no. Since new world gamers are used to seeing buttons for "yes" "no" and "cancel" and this was a featured attributed to the early DOS days which they kept, I figure due to old times sake. Anyhow, have you tried the "y" and "n" key, or the keys relevant to French?

Ultimately, you know, I will tell you, if you can't move on in the game to maybe try the English version of the game. I wish I could make archives of mine for people to download I have both Windows and Mac versions of all the games, unfortunately I don't know where to put it. My primary language is Spanish and I'm pretty sure they also had the Zorks in Spain (I've seen youtube videos titles that suggest the language might be Spanish), but I've always played the English version because if I need troubleshoot help it is easier to get it in the English versions.

I know, you want to feel at home (so do I) :-\
Mezka
A white house, what?

Post by Mezka »

Wow, it was simply that : to push "y" or "n"... pfff, i continue to ask myself why they say push on F4 to confirm or another button to cancel... that confused me, i think i had the same problem years ago...
So, now i can play :) & why not in french, the voices are good, first time i'll play it in that language.
Thanks again for your clever advice!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Great! If your French version works well, by all means continue to play it :) I'm glad I could help!