Is the Zork fandom dying?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

Is the Zork fandom dying?

Post by Reaver »

I don't know about you guys, but I check this board daily.  It is one of the few places where I can go to talk about my most beloved computer game series.  I know I got into it later than a lot of people (I first played Zork in 93 at the age of 10, and it was Return to Zork).  But the series hit home for me very easily.

Anyway, I've noticed that posting seems to have slowed down, people talk less, and often times posts go by without responses.  So I've started to wonder, "Is our community dying?"  If it is, it would be yet another sad day in the history of Zork.

If I'm wrong, someone please post.  Maybe we could do something to liven the place up, such as games (Guess the Creature, or Each Person add the next part to a story).  But if I am right, I guess I'll just have to hold on to the hopes that Activision someday makes a new Zork game.

And sorry if I seem overly dramatic, but Zork has been a very influential part of my life, as I am sure it has been the same for many of you.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Is the Zork fandom dying?

Post by DataAngel »

Yes the board is pretty much inactive most of the time. I do enjoy the fact that people still check here often and do post occassionally. I think too many of us have moved on in life, we like Zork but there isn't much to talk about anymore until a topic is brought up.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I wouldn't say it is dying so much as dormant. It's hard for most people to stay enthusiastic about something when nothing is going on, but I'm sure things would liven up very quickly if something were to happen.

As for me, I check here almost daily and I'm getting the urge to replay all the Quendorian games in order up to GI. I still write in this universe regularly. As long as I keep finding stories to write about, it still feels new and exciting.  

I'm working on a website for the end of the year with all of my fanworks and my Zork-related dioramas. It is certainly a quiet and lonely fandom, but Zork is still very much alive for me.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I check here just about every day, hoping to see a new post.  so thanks for posting.  

There was a lot of activity here when Z:THE was in the works.   When that kind of faded out, I was hoping more people would have played my Z:DOD game and we could have had something to talk about - even if we just talked about how bad the writing was.  It might have helped me improve it!
Last edited by DrPaul on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Hmm...That's weird.  In the above post I typed Z (colon) DOD and what appeared was Z (smily face) OD.  Apparently (colon) D translates to smily face.
ishashobar
A white house, what?

Post by ishashobar »

i know but one problem is that know one is finding out about zork anymore
it may seem odd but a series call Little Big Adventure has a very active community at www.magicball.net
the series only had 2 games that were semipopular. but they have a program for disecting the whole game
good zork fansites like the zork library and GUE networkare very deep in the search pile all that comes up is the IF archive and the infocom fan homepageif one of the previous mention sites popped up someones interest may be sparked. also people need to talk about the subject more
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I still receive random emails about Zork from fans and I forward them to here as well. Perhaps they come here and see very little posting and leave or they check back occassionally. One would hope they stick around.
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

Interesting that someone said people are finding out about the game less, because I've actually had the good fortune to discover it just recently. Having completed the first and second game and working my way through the third, I think it seems too alive to call dying indeed...the writing (and sense of humor that reminds me a little of my own) is priceless, and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept attracting people who appreciated good writing as well as such games. I've got the impression that it's too neat a game to be forgotten just yet.

But if I'm wrong...there's always the chance that someone could stumble upon it while googling a unique stopper for their wine bottle. :)
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

People will continue to find out about the games and enjoy them. I enjoy the fact that from time to time I get to tell people about them and force, err recommend they play the games as they are so great.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Yeah, not much makes me feel happier than talking to someone about Zork and either having them understand and already be familiar with the game, or interested enough to find out what it was like themselves.  About eight years ago I introduced my best friend to the series, and he loved it as much as I do.

I just wish the series itself would start up again.  Oh well, if the fans make adventures, I will play those and claim the series lives on through them.
Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Afgncaap5 »

I don't think the fandom is dying.  I think the fandom is just diversifying.

I mean, Zork is my all time favorite series, ever since I first played Zork I at the age of 7.  But I need to put some time between playing through the games so that they can stay fresh each time through.
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

Nah; I see some new users since I last visited the forum!

I also love making Zork references on other forums, just to see who gets it. :D
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I don't think it will ever die, so long as people are introducing their friends or others to it. There will always be someone who will enjoy it and so long as that happens it will continue on; maybe not as fast as we would like... but much better than zero growth and expansion. I would recommend that anyone truly interested in Zork should make a Zork page, it doesn't have to be spectacular, but the more sites there are the more oppurttunity for people to find out about it.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I just got website designer software and I aim to have a Infocom/Zork tribute site up soon.  8-) It won't be as cool and sleek as TZL, but it'll be unique.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

thanks 8-)
but hey you never know... i didnt make a decent site overnight, it took time and ideas and ive been thinking on some designs for an overhaul...
i still over hosting fyi.