Dungeon

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

Dungeon

Post by Reaver »

I was curious as to who here has played Dungeon (Mainframe Zork) and what your opinion of it was.  Any responses or discussions about it are welcomed.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Dungeon

Post by DataAngel »

sorry I haven't played it. :o :-[
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

I've sort of played it. It's just too simple :P. I'd much rather prefere to play Zork I.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I didn't know you could get this. Where did you find it?
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

IFarchive.  Playing it explains some things.  Before I played it, I never knew that the Round Room and the Carousel Room used to be one and the same.  It was originally a spinning Round Room.  The separation explains the few collapsed passages leading from the Round Room in Zork I.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I should have this game on my site.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I'll definetly be checking this out...
Garius_Lupus
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by Garius_Lupus »

I played it way back when that was all that was available. I played it on a mainframe at work and never finished it - I got stuck and couldn't go on. I had played Adventure and solved it, and found Dungeon even better, although I couldn't solve it. I still have the maps I made back then. :-D

Years and years later (about 3 years ago now), I stumbled on the Zork games on the internet and realized that they were almost the same as Dungeon. It was like seeing an old friend. Some research later, I found out that Dungeon had been split up into Zorks I to III (with some additions).

So, I played all the Zorks and a fair number of the other Infocom games. I still have a few left to play.

I haven't played any of the non-text-based Zork games (Return to Zork, Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor), but would love to.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

OK, I got a chance to play Dungeon, and I must admit, I don't like it very much. It's parser isn't that good so I didn't really get to play much of it.

Also, I haven't posted lately because the power supply of my computer went dead and I'm getting a new one. I won't post tomorrow as Hurricane Lili is making landfall and, well, I seriously doubt I'll be on the computer.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

uh oh lol, ttys!
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

It's just that you can't do as much as in Zork I and the game is sort of confusing and too short. Oh, and there's that stupid newspaper in the living room that ruins the whole atmosphere of the game.