Metal Gear Solid 3

If you must talk about something that isn't about grue slaying, adventuring or even drinking some of that tasty rye, then do it here.

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Metal Gear Solid 3

Post by DataAngel »

I just started playing this today and I must say that this is a great game. It does the storyline thing from the first two VERY well. Some may complain that theres less to do then other games, but I prefer this style very much. Lots of good story to keep you interested and good plot twists to keep you wondering. By the time you finish the games you always feel like you helped accomplish something greater than yourself rather than just running around doing missions, they don't have the same feel.

I highly recommend this game, especially if you liked MGS1 or MGS2. Right up there with HL2, but way more story/character developement.

What do you think?
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Metal Gear Solid 3

Post by Nemesis »

Eh, it wasn't as good as the previous games. It doesn't help with the cliffhanger from the last one as it takes place in the past, and a lot of the new features stop being used about halfway through the game. It was fun, but I still think they should've stuck with indoor infiltration.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well, I finished the game last night. I thought it was pretty good, I really like all the story etc.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I had one major complaint with the story. It makes the characters of Ocelot and Big Boss into likeable characters...not good for two future villains. I mean, this game makes you think Big Boss detests nuclear weapons and all they stand for, yet he later plans to use them twice. The only  real reasons I could think of for him betraying his country (which he condemned all through this game) is the whole (SPOILER) America betraying The Boss, and then later America creating clones of him.

But yeah, it was pretty fun.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

ocelot is cool, period. Who says you can't like villains? Swordfish anyone?

As for Big Boss... you are Big Boss, I don't remember what happened in #1 since I played it SO long ago, but I don't recall you dieing or giving someone else the title. So making clones of Big Boss doesn't make sense. They also never made any ties into thinking nukes are really bad. You did play #3 right because I cannot find any of what you said to make sense from the series.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Er, what? Making clones of Big Boss doesn't make sense? Who do you think Solid Snake is? Liquid? They ARE clones of Big Boss. And in the original Metal Gear (not Metal Gear Solid) Big Boss turns out to be the enemy. He's killed in the second one by Solid Snake.

But yeah, Solid Snake is Big Boss's clone.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Ok, if you take JUST the solid games, it doesnt add up. I only played the original Metal Gear on the NES when I was very young and don't know anything about it. Point being is that if MGS3 is a prequel to MGS1 then why aren;t you Big Boss in #1 or #2... the game isn't 100% accurate. As for the cloning I don't remember ever hearing that in any of the Solid games, so where does it get brought up?
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

MGS3 takes place in 1964, while MGS takes place in a modern day setting (around the year 2000). Big Boss (who dies in the second Metal Gear game) would be close to seventy years old by then. But he looks, sounds, and almost acts exactly the same as the main character in the other Solid games.

In the original MGS, Solid Snake (protagonist) is the twin brother of Liquid Snake (antagonist). They are "the sons of Big Boss." The entire latter half of the game when Snake talks to Liquid for seemingly hours on end, Liquid talks about the human Genome project, genetic advancements, the cloning of Big Boss, and the preservation of his "soldier genes" by the US government.

In the original MG on the MSX, Solid Snake is an entirely different character from the operation leader, Big Boss, who ends up being the treacherous leader of the terrorist "Outer Heaven." No mention of how they are related in this one or MG2, they are simply two soldiers on opposite sides. This is before Kojima decided to take it in a rather odd direction.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Okay that clears things up a bit, its been a long time since I played #1 or #2, so I was going off very old memories.
jhonsadins
A white house, what?

Post by jhonsadins »

Hi..
game cut scenes too. However, help broaden and involve important elements of the story, fortunately, and fall in frequency to press later in the game