2006 Consoles - PS3, XBox 360, Revolution

If you must talk about something that isn't about grue slaying, adventuring or even drinking some of that tasty rye, then do it here.

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

2006 Consoles - PS3, XBox 360, Revolution

Post by DataAngel »

Okay, so what are your thoughts? There is no news on the Revolution yet but as it developes feel free to discuss it here.

I see the XBox 360 as probably better looking than the PS3, however both systems have unimpressive specs. to me. My current PC is almost as good as either system. My PC runs Shader 3.0 the XBox 360 and PS3 will run about the equivilant.

Keeping in mind that IFF they came out today they would be very impressive, however given the release dates are about a year away, I seriously see the PC market catching up to and passing it in a years time, so the money would be better spend on a PC.

I have also noticed that all the consoles claim PC compatibility so I ask what then is the reason to buy a console this coming year? My PC in fact almost ANY PC you buy does everything the consoles does minus the games unless you pay the extra $$$ for the higher end specs.

So far the little I have read about the Revolution makes that system seem the most interesting and entertaining. Since graphics on the PC have pretty much already become real enough, they need to work on other aspects such as interaction, ie the Revolution claims thats its goal.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: 2006 Consoles - PS3, XBox 360, Revolution

Post by Nemesis »

I'd have to agree. Simply upgrading the hardware for greater graphics capabilities is ridiculous at this point, it's getting to the point where graphics are as good as they get. Add to that the way computers and video game consoles seem to be merging together (consoles becoming more like PCs, high end PCs becoming focused on video game performance) and there doesn't seem to be much point.

The Revolution does look impressive (for those of you who haven't seen it, check it out here: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?art ... page=other)

With Nintendo, you can never go wrong. Unless you bought a Virtua Boy, but that's a different story.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Wow the first pictures of the Revolution ive seen and it looks WAY cooler than the PS3 and the Xbox360
PK

Post by PK »

But the real question is, will there be a new Zork game for any of the consols.

We can only hope that Activision sees the market opening for Zork when the last Myst game is released
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

The "Revolution" is shaping up, PS3 is near launch as well.

Personally I am unimpressed by the XBox360, its basically a high end gaming PC, nothing special or innovative about it. I don't see the PS3 doing much better, but I can tell you though, PS3 will have better games than the XBox360.

The console I am most interested in still is the Revolution and YES I WILL refuse to call it the "...", see what did I tell you, I REFUSE. I am somewhat dissapointed by it remaining 480p and not going 1080i, but hey, if the games are fun and the system more affordable then I can live without it. One thing is the graphics so far with the Revolution look just about the same as the GC, I am not sure what they have done graphically with the system to be honest, but so far I am unimpressed.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

The only one I am interested in at this time is the WII!  Sorry, DataAngel, but I call it what it is, even if I like the name Revolution more, too.  But the Wii is, at least, a memorable name, even if it isn't a good one.

The system on the other hand, is shaping up to be quite impressive.  I can't wait to play Legend of Zelda on it, since you actually have to swing the remote to attack.

The PS3 is too expensive with too few games, and the only game on X-Box I want is Halo 2, and Halo 3 whenever it is made.  So I'll probably only get the Wii.

edit:  Looking back at previous posts, I would LOVE to see Zork on the Wii.  It could further enhance the immersiveness of Zork.  Completely lose yourself by pretending to be the character AND by performing the actions.
Last edited by Reaver on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

IFF only one could BE an adventurer in Zork in a manner such as the Revolution can offer. That would be too cool.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Okay here goes...

XBox360... technically advanced and Gears of War really shows of its potential. With XBox Live functionality and a decent price plus plenty of games to choose from. Availability and current support. Good buy.

PS3... technically overadvanced and there aren't any games. Sony makes shoddy hardware and killed the market by releasing hardly any units. Anyone recall the game show where half of the some 200 PS3 units failed to work? Don't forget all the broken PS2s. High price, no games, no availability, low quality. DON'T BUY. If you do wait a couple of years till the price drops, its been updated and fixed and there are some decent games to play on it.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Well, I went bought only one new console between the three systems.  I don't regret my choice at all, as it has a lot of fun games for it.

I stuck with what I said before.  I got a Nintendo Wii.  It has plenty of games for it, plays all of my Gamecube games (so I traded in my Gamecube to get more Wii games), and has an online service where you can download old games from the NES through the N64, the Sega Genesis, or the Turgo-Graffix.

Of course it goes without saying that the first game I grabbed was Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.  I think its graphics are as good as I need a system to be.  They look beautiful.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I did not know you actually bought the system. I will post my hands on review of the system soon. It will not be too lengthy as there isn't a need for that.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Yeah, I stood in line on release day at Wal-Mart.  Didn't have to go in as early as I thought.  But a 12 hour wait didn't bother me, and I was ninth in line.  They had 28.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Ok Reaver here is a VERY important question for you in regards to the Nintendo System.

At my friends house I played his system. I noticed a large amount of lag and sometimes jitteriness when use the controller. It did not track smoothly at all unless you moved very slowly. I expected it to be dead accurate on tracking, like using a mouse or a laser pointer.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Hmm... never had that problem myself.  But here are a few suggestions.  

Make sure the batteries in the remote are okay.
Make sure he isn't too far from the TV or closer than three feet.
Make sure the sensor bar is properly placed, either just beneath or just on top of the TV, and centered.

Other than those, I don't know.