How many think that Zork has a chance?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

How many think that Zork has a chance?

Post by Reaver »

I was curious as to how many people here think that Zork has a chance of making it back into the world of computer gaming?  And not as a fan game, but as an actual official Zork game.  I personally believe that it is possible.  In my heart I hope for it.  

Zork: Grand Inquisitor was the last computer game that I have bought.  I have tried to look for new adventurer games to hold me off until a new Zork is made, but none can, so I have bought none.  So what do you all think?  Feel free to post random thoughts and feelings about Zork as well.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: How many think that Zork has a chance?

Post by DataAngel »

I like to be optimistic, but at this point its almost impossible to remain that way. Activision no longer cares and I can say quite logically and firmly that the only way another Zork game will ever be made, is if WE make it.

The licensing is collecting dust and they haven't even bothered to look for it on the shelf since ZGI. I don't mean to be a downer, but thats just that way it is. I also hope in my heart to see another game, but if we have to be the ones to make it I will be JUST as happy, because I think WE are the true Zork fans where Activision has no idea anymore WHAT Zork is.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Actually, if an official game were released, perhaps it would be bought by Cyan, or Ubi Soft, or whoever made Myst. The only problem would be making it live up to other Zork games.
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

No, if someone wanted to buy the license then Activision would care...but only to see how much they could sell it for.  As for who would buy it, I'd have to say Dreamcatcher.  Cyan might be good with Myst, but that's about it, and probably doesn't have the money to buy a license like Zork.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

The way I see it the world needs to be completely re-introduced to Zork. Otherwise today's computer gamers won't understand a thing!

I think all the previous Zork games should be re-releashed. They might need some graphic since not a lot of people don't cares about text games let alone knowing about them.

So, after Zork has been introduced, then you might think about publishing new Zork games. It's just that Zork is such a weird and complicated world that if there was simply to come out a continuation of Zork nobody would get it.

Probably stuff such as books and merchandise (hey, I'd like a Brogmoid super-action figure. Then you could press it and it would say stuff like "Me Brog", "Me hungry. Me want rocks" and "MMMM! Rocks" ;D).

That's just how the world works today. The Lord of the Rings movie didn't get famous just because it was a fantastic movie. It was largely due to merchandise and commercial stuff.
Last edited by Basse on Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Dreamcatcher?? No, I don't like them that much. But then again, I've only played two of their games. Maybe I'm just not giving them a chance...
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

On a completely unrelated note:

boom
What happen?

Someone set up us a bomb.

We get signal.

Huh?

Main screen turn on.

It's you.

How are you gentlemen.
All your base are belong to us.
You are on your way to destruction.

What you say.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
HaHaha.

Take off every ZIG
You know what you are doing
Move ZIG
For great justice.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

You HAD to bring up Zero Wing, didn't you?

I was actually thinking a somewhat cheaper way for Activision to reintroduce Zork would be a graphical version of Zork I.  There were only two characters that could be seen, the game is already written, they just need to make the graphic version.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Thats some very good points there Basse, I too would LOVE a brogmoid action figure!! or a lantern that glows! heehee, new stuff!!
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Well yeah, all boards have been plagued about Zero Wing. As for a graphical Zork I, I actually was thinking of making one and putting it up as freeware, but I never got a chance to actually do it. But if it were done, then perhaps the trilogy should be combined into one? Even then it wouldn't be a very large game...just a bit on the part of turning words into pictures. All my pictures of the first Zork games (I-III) were pretty vague...but maybe I need more imagination.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I was thinking of something along those lines because it would be something cheap to make and would hopefully please the fans (I know some fandoms are hard to please *cough* Transformers *cough*).  It might actually be better, though, to combine the trilogy like you said.  Or they could add on to the first game and release it slightly cheaper than most graphic games.  Some new puzzles, locations, treasures, etc.

Also, I actually had a pretty clear image of what I thought everything looked like.  Even down to the thief and troll.
Last edited by Reaver on Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Ooo...I got an idea. They could make the top portion of the screen a Z-vision sorta thing, that you could do a few things in and the bottom portion a text-interface. You could play all of the game using text or part of it. Some puzzles may require the text-parser.

But oh well, I doubt Activision is going to touch the Zork universe, unless they're secretly making another Zork game or two, and that would explain why no other company has bought Zork. That's only a wish though...
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

Apparently not even the general adventure gaming public wants Zork to be continued that much.  On a visit to Just Adventure.com there was a poll of which series people would like to see continued from the ones available to vote on, and after I voted (for Zork of course) the standings are:

Tex Murphy (5)               29%
Monkey Island (0)             0%
Leisure Suit Larry (1)         6%
Gabriel Knight (9)             53%
Zork (2)                         12%

Keep in mind ONE of those TWO votes is mine.
Last edited by Not_Afgncaap5 on Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Dang. Oh well, after the releash of ZTHE, I'm sure people are gonna wake up...hope fully.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Well, a lot of people haven't heard of Zork, that's what we're trying to change.