ZGI and nemesis problems under XP.

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

IGNGcubeman
A white house, what?

ZGI and nemesis problems under XP.

Post by IGNGcubeman »

Neither of the games will start.  both of the games(not the installer) ask for disk 1, but never recognize it, and therfore don't get any further than that.

Any info or solutions that could help me with this?
Fantine
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Re: ZGI and nemesis problems under XP.

Post by Fantine »

I was able to get ZGI to run under XP.  Mine asks for disk 1, just like you, but my PC recognizes it.  It usually asks for disk 1, if I try to load a saved game from disk 2 (when I know that disk 2 is the spot in the game where I saved).  It ususally says something about not detecting some sort of media device.

I'm really rather clueless about these things ...I just play around until I get something to work or almost break something, lol.  Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing?  Best of luck! :)
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I used to have a problem exactly like this with Win2000 or Win ME whe I would run Nemesis on my laptop.  The problem occured whenever I tried to play without the floppy drive in the smart-bay.  Usually I would have a Zip drive instead of the floppy drive.  But if I removed the Zip drive and replaced it with a floppy drive (even though I'm not using the floppy drive) it would work.

So I'm wondering...a lot of new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.  Does your computer have a floppy drive?  If not, maybe you will have to add one.  

It's just a thought.
Last edited by DrPaul on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

most computers still come with floppy drives as most computers still need them to run properly, since you can buy them for $15 if you don't have one its worth it to get one.
panther3751
A white house, what?

Post by panther3751 »

Since I have both Nemesis and GI on CD-ROM, I can get both of them to run and play ....

33% of the time, however, Nemesis will crash during gameplay. I have a corrupted save that I was working on with a friend of mine (my friend was playing zork for the first time, he really liked nemesis) that won't run every time I try opening it.

However, if you're kind to your software and let it have a lot of system resources, it won't crash. Probably. ^^;;
jacey

Post by jacey »

I've had the same probelm.  My laptop won't recognize the CD version of ZGI.  I have XP and no matter how many times that I download it and uninstall it, it doesn't recognize disc 1 to start playing it.  Any ideas other than playing around with it or buying a floppy drive?
brian0918
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by brian0918 »

You could set up another partition and load Windows 95 or 98 on it, then you could play any of them, hopefully.
James Juno

Post by James Juno »

The answer to all these problems can be found here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilec ... _guest.htm

I have installed both GI and Nemesis this way and put the CDs on the shelf to collect dust.  This guy's solution is a savior for Zork!

-JJ
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Handy Dandy indeed!
Savannah
A white house, what?

Post by Savannah »

How do you get the linked play feature to work
PK

Post by PK »

Pleh I did that with out even reading the instructions, I just applied the same tactic taht I used when installing Red Alert to xp.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Wow, thanks for this, I have played Nemesis on my Mac for a while now (and passed it a while ago) and was ready to install it in our Windows XP laptop (bought the Win vers) and had no idea the problems we might run into.  With this I bet we will do just fine :)
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

I try to download the subtitles patch from the Zork Library and the download never finishes the way it should, it either stops halfway or before reaching any significant percentage, no warning, when I try to open the file it just says the file has a bad format, anywhere else I can download it from?
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Oh, nevermind. it seems my slow 56k connection had something to do with it, I was able to download it in late nite hours, thanks.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Glad you were able to d/l it.