Zork Grand Inquisitor Freezes during Jail Escape

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

blacknightzero
A white house, what?

Zork Grand Inquisitor Freezes during Jail Escape

Post by blacknightzero »

I am playing this game on Windows 7 64-bit from the information that I copied to my hard drive from my DVD because it wouldn't install from the DVD. I followed the instructions in the following site:

www[dot]thezorklibrary[dot]com/installguides/zgi-win[dot]html

I was able to play the game all the way up until the jail escape, then I see Jack running through and getting his stuff, but once the video ends on the screen, there is no cinematic it is frozen, and the screen that I saw Jack on just has static on it. I can't click anywhere except 'quit' at the top right of the screen. What should I do to be able to finish the game?
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Re: Zork Grand Inquisitor Freezes during Jail Escape

Post by KM3K »

Hi. I haven't heard of this problem before. Try recopying the files from the DVD, just in case one didn't copy correctly.

If that doesn't work, I recommend trying ZEngine to run the game. You can find instructions on running ZEngine with the DVD version of the game at https://github.com/Marisa-Chan/Zengine/ ... version%29 . The saves should be compatible, so you should be able to continue where you left off.
blacknightzero
A white house, what?

Post by blacknightzero »

Thank you for your quick reply. I tried recopying the items, but it didn't work. I tried to use Zengine, but according to the instructions, I need to edit ZORK.dir, and I can't find that anywhere. I tried running it anyway, but when I tried to load my save, it closed down. I also noticed that on that page it says: Note: The DVD version is not fully supported yet. I am using the DVD version of it, so it may not work at this point of the game, since I am almost to the end.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

Zork.dir is included with the WIN_ZGI_GOG_2013_03_20.zip that you extract into the folder where you installed ZGI. The support for the DVD version has improved since that was last updated. I haven't played all the way through ZGI with ZEngine yet, but it might work.
blacknightzero
A white house, what?

Post by blacknightzero »

I pasted the text in the dir file like it said, and it no longer locks up upon loading, but it still locks up at the same place as usual.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

Since I don't have Zork Grand Inquisitor installed in Windows right now, I got my ZGI DVD files into ZEngine on my Linux computer and ran it there. I found a collection of save files at http://www.nicouzouf.com/en/public/down ... tor&dl=all . I downloaded that and found that save #15 "55 NO JAIL" is prior to your freeze by one puzzle and save #16 "56 TOWER" is the save right after the video that freezes. I played from "55 NO JAIL" to the point where you escape the jail and the videos worked for me, eventually leading me to the tower.

I feel like one of the video files is probably corrupted, but if you've already recopied the files I'm not sure how to get that part working. You may need want to continue from that save #16 "56 TOWER" from that download if that loads for you. You'll miss the rest of that video, but its short and you can view it online at as part of a "Let's Play" on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsIB2rq ... u.be&t=35s or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPefHKeA ... be&t=14m0s Before using those saves, backup your .sav files (inquis.sav and inqsav#.sav). Then extract the saves from the download to your ZGI install folder. When loading the game again, the new saves should be there. Inquis.sav needs to be included in what you copy because I think that file keeps track of what save files are available.