We must save Zork!

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

We must save Zork!

Post by Basse »

eeLook, what happened to all our return-Zork-spirit? Look I don't know Activision's email but if you give it to me I'll gladely blackmail them or at least send angry letters. If we don't get that licens then Zork is dead and gone forever. BOMB dead, never coming back, the end. But what if we can all work together. Some work on the graphic, some programming, some writing the story. And if we really put our minds to it then we WILL succeed. But ONLY if you keep the right faith in Zork. We must make a stand and fight for our right to continue the Zork serie. Letting it die would be admitting that we are weak! Come on guys we have to save Zork! She needs it!

Basse
Last edited by Basse on Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: We must save Zork!

Post by DataAngel »

I agree that the license here could mean the end for Zork. But why is Zork a she? Wasn't the word originally used by the implementors which were made up of all guys? haha just a thought. ;D
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Well, I just call Zork as she. I don't know why. It's just like a boat or any other kind of thing that you name you usually call a she.

But anyway's, what do you other guys think?

Basse
Andy
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Andy »

Well... I don't know what's happening with our request. Laird forwarded it to the licensing department. I've got no clue what's going on now, though.

On a different note, I do love the new board!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Thanks.  ;) I was getting tired of how slow the EZBoard was etc. also this way I can back up the board and never lose any posts or members etc. Its also a much better board and is still free but I run it all on my own instead.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I agree.  There has got to be something we can do to help save Zork.
Sean Carey

Post by Sean Carey »

How can I get involved in this "Save Zork" campaign?  ???
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

You can just complain about how there aren't any Zork games.  Um, say you're going to do something, then do a little then get tired of it without ever finishing it.  That's what the rest of us do.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Unfortunately there is little we can do, we have pretty much done all we could. What most of us do is keep our sites up and running and keep it alive on the boards and such. Never forget about it and always tell everyone you know about how great Zork is and recommend it to everyone you meet in the stores. :-} We are hoping there is the possibility we will get the license to Zork but at the moment with the licensing dep. taking its sweet time to get back to us we aren't sure whats going on yet.
SCarey
A white house, what?

Post by SCarey »

Well, dont worry about lincencing the game. Continue to make it. And then when it's complete realease to hardcore fans and anyone else for free. Comercially dont advertise. Keep it underground. (strange irony in that last sentence) Zork shouldnt die with in its fan base. If we can post fan fiction with out violating copyright laws, why cant we write entire Zork adventures for Zork and its fans? If you tried to gain a profit off of it, thats where you run into trouble.
SCarey
A white house, what?

Post by SCarey »

The Undiscovered Underground episode. That was a fan made game right? Was that licenced by activision?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well we want the license so we can make a game USING Zork and its stuff. Fan made text games are different than full blown graphical of which if they decide to make a new game they might have a problem with ours. If we get the license then as long as it gets released then our game will be part of the saga of Zork. I understand about doing it anyways, but I think most people have kinda given up due to the legal ramification of not having the license.

TUU was written by Activision as far as I know and is meant to be a tribute to Zork and free, it came out when ZGI did.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Z: TUU was written by Mark Blanc. But it was definately with permission of Activision, I believe they hired him to write it.