A: from Cliff's son
B: in Canuk's bottle
C: swallowed by boar
D: Cliff Robinson
E: ruins east of Shanbar
F: lighthouse keeper
G: exhibit A, unclean
H: from different disc
The Nectus was the last remaining Flying Disc of Frobozz which survived
the effects of the Great Diffusion of 1247 GUE.
Prior to the execution of the First Great Diffusion, the
evil ones learned that the good wizards were planning to destroy all of
the magic. When the good wizards met in the basement of the Inn of
Isenough to plan, an evil spy was placed in the midst of the good
wizards. Being clever wizards, they talked in code and fed the spy
false information. The spy was led into thinking that they were going
to hide all the magic in the world behind a Wall of Illusion. And the
good wizards created a Wall of Illusion as a decoy, so that the evil
wizards would have evidence to believe that all magic would in fact be
hidden behind it. Since the only thing that could shatter a wall of
illusion was a Flying Disc of Frobozz, the practitioners of evil broke
one such powerful disc up (which they called the Nectus) and hid all
six pieces before the good wizards could destroy it.
They also built a diabolical mechanical forge to put the pieces back
together. This forge was secretly fashioned by renovating the ancient
shrine of the Muses of the Arts located near Bel Narie Temple, the same
one that was built around 966 GUE. Part of this project involved adding
a new statue, known as Lib, the Catcher. This statue was designed to
hold an orb, needed to focus light onto the broken pieces of the
disc—the final phase of the reforging process. The other statues were
also converted, each one requiring at least one additional external
component for operation.
The evil ones planned to wait for the right time, with the hope that
any survivors of the Great Diffusion could gather the pieces together,
reforge them, and shatter the Wall of Illusion to get the magic hidden
In a spectacular display of combined magical power, the Great Spell was
cast. There was a great explosion! The good wizards vaporized
all the magic, both good and evil, scattering it to the four winds with
the hope that evil magic would be vanquished forever. Even the Frobozz
Magic Company and all its inventory did not escape the dispersal.
Whatever was not destroyed was dismantled. During the explosion, with
the rest of the magic, the decoy Wall of Illusion went too.
As planned by the evil wizards, both the disguised forge and the disc
pieces survived the diffusion. But since the good wizards never planned
to hide the magic behind the wall, this action was in vain—however,
ironically, their error would be a tremendous benefactor for the defeat
of the evil many centuries later.
In the 1640s, Morphius, who had hidden his Citadel of Zork behind a
wall of illusion, feared that the pieces of the last Flying Disc of
Frobozz would be recovered and reforged and his illusionary shield
would be shattered. Thus his minions sought the manual for the forge
and destroyed it.
In 1647 GUE, the hidden disc pieces were each individually located and,
by whatever route they took, eventually reached the following
destinations, where they were gathered together by an unknown
1 – One was in the possession of the Lighthouse Keeper north of Shanbar.
2 – Cliff Robinson managed to have two of these pieces, one of whom he
later gave to his escaping son.
3 – Canuk himself found one and placed it in a safe in the cabin of an
enchanted ship in a magical bottle.
4 – One was found within Hungry Boar Memorial in the Forest of the
Spirits (which had been trapped inside since 1369 GUE).
5 – And the final piece was left abandoned in some underground ruins
near the Forest of the Spirits.
The disc was forged at the ancient shrine to the six Muses of the
Arts near Bel Naire using magical properties somehow inherent in the
statues themselves. It was then tossed like a frisbee at the Wall of
Illusion, shattering it and allowing the adventurer access to the
Citadel of Zork where Morphius was ultimately defeated by this namless