Return To Zork variations...

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Return To Zork variations...

Post by MacCentris »

I was just playing the various RTZ games I have.  I happen to have 3 versions (played three versions).  There are some interesting facts about them.

In the floppy disk version the game is absolutely dull.  Graphics are really no good.  The music is also crummy.

In the CD DOS version, the CD plays Audio music tracks which makes the sound and music of the game an enchanting and unforgettable experience.  And me, being a auditory person, I'm delighted with this.

The spoken dialog in the CD DOS version surpasses anything I've ever seen or heard in any of the other versions.  Surpasses the Mac by 50% (there is approx. 50% more spoken audio in the DOS version).

In the Mac, the graphics, movies and scenery are outstanding, and for a visual person this would be the way to go.  Almost 90% of all spoken audio in the game is played in movie format.  No more dummies with a fake mouth, this people are actually talking and moving, showing expression and movement.  This, to me, was mind blowing.  But whatever happened with all the spoken dialog?  As long as it has something to do with the game play, its there.

Unfortunately the fun of the game was gone :(  Remember how almost everyone had something to say about everything in your inventory?.... well, in the Mac... not anymore.  Unless it has something to do with solving the game itself, it isn't there.

I was sad.  Disappointed.  Maybe it had a lot to do with the space limit of CDs in those days.  But if you really want to enjoy the true RTZ experience you need to have both.

I wish a RTZ re-release would include all we missed.
Last edited by MacCentris on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Return To Zork variations...

Post by MacCentris »

oh.... some people think that Return To Zork looks so primitive compared to Nemesis and Inquisitor.  That's because you never played the Mac version.  Although the digital music is gone (mostly replaced by midi music) the game graphics are outstanding in the Mac vers.

I should know I have them all.  I wonder if a new DOS version was released with the modifications the one in the Mac has.  ::)  If there is one please let me know, I want to get it!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Hey, I have a question.  In the Mac version if you threaten Mrs Peepers, she will say "I havent been a teacher all these years without learning how to... [you know the rest]".  If you do it 3 times she will make you type "I will not be a bully" three times on the chalkboard, and then you can proceed.  Unlike the DOS version that she goes straight to the test, in the Mac version she pauses after she says "its all right... but don't let it happen again, or be marked down on your permanent record... tardiness".  You have the choice to talk to her (she repeats the whole thing again) and you are presented with 4 choices, [Interested-Confused-Threaten-Apologenic].  If you act Interested or Confused, you are in trouble, she'll go straight to the test.  When you finish typing your punishment or when you apologize she says "good! now you wont do that again, will you?"

Is there any DOS version with that?  If I can buy it, I will.  Unless its in the floppy version, my disk #1 [of 12] happens to be damaged, can someone please email me a copy of it in zip format?  Its been several years since I last played the floppy version.

Another interesting fact about the Mac variations of RTZ, is the later versions.  I assume that in order to sell more copies of RTZ (after two years of its original release) they decided to bundle RTZ for Mac with other "smaller" and cheaper games, or games that otherwise wouldn't sell (ie. GearHeads & Blackthorne are the ones I can recall).  Because of that the space was limited [again!] and most of the toast was removed.

The result was Boos Miller fainting from his first glass of rye (NO!!! it can't be!!!, the best part EVER omitted???) yes, I am not kidding.  If you are wondering about the keys, Boos just gives them to you anytime you ask, if he happens to faint before you ask him you must leave and come back to find him again.  There is something else in the game that was shortened, but I forget what it is.  Oh, by the way, after Boos faints and you have the keys, he dissappears and you never see him in the game again :'(

Yes, I was heartbroken.  Silly me, no wonder it was on sale!  Anyway I had to acquire the genuine original Mac version later (I got it NEW in an unnopened package recently!).  At this moment I have 3 Mac versions, and 2 DOS versions of the game.  I decided I want to keep them all.  After all, RTZ has been my ALL TIME favorite game.  I am thinking about printing some images of the game and putting them on my bedroon wall, that game (for its time) was a work of art and the best thing ever released.

I can't get over the fact that in order to have the full RTZ experience you need to play all the versions.  Its cool thou.

Some people might think I am crazy to prefer RTZ over the other two, but in 1993, there was no better game than Return To Zork, and the most things I miss in the other two is the lack of recordings and pictures.  Also the people.  I never had a funnier teacher than Mrs Peepers, it was so cool to ask eveyone about everything and the inventory items, but that's another story I guess.

I am depressed and bored...

Lili
Last edited by MacCentris on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Forgot one little detail about the Fools Memorial in the DOS version.  As everyone knows the colorful balls the memorial juggles change colors but they don't go in circles.  In the Mac version the balls do go around in circles, so the color change was not needed.

Interesting.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Very interesting... keep it up.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Another funny fact.  When Boos gives you the keys he says "my keys, sure yeah, I am too drive to drunk... can you pick me up a six pack while you're out?"

In the Mac he says "my keys, sure yeah, I am too drunk to drive! (very cheerfully)... can you pick me up a six pack while you're out?"

As you walk out and come back he offers another glass of rye.  But in the Mac version as you walk in, he looks at you and says "huh... did you get that six pack?.....  ahhhh!  that's all right.....  I've got my rye!!" and he triumphaly raises his rye bottle, feeling like the has the best drink in the world, LOL.

In the DOS version you throw the glass and immediately he fills your glass again, no questions asked.  If you throw something at him he'll say "why you go on do that for?... We were having such a good time!"  In the Mac he'll say that when you throw the glass.  Then he offers more rye :)

Its cool I guess... I hated the Mac version but as time passed I learned to appreciate it too.

I honestly hope that there aren't things like that with the other two graphical Zork games, it costs a lot to get all the versions ;)