What is Brog?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

What is Brog?

Post by MacCentris »

I think he looks like Shreck, and Shreck is an ogre, but there's no talk in Zork about ogres... my 9 year old son is here and he says "mommy, trolls are hairy, ogres have no hair, Brog is an ogre!"  LOL :)
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: What is Brog?

Post by DrPaul »

Brog is a Brogmoid.  
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

I never got books for Inquisitor... sorry.  Where did you find that out?
Thanks!
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

There is a bit about Brogmoids in one of Dalboz's books in the DM's lair. There is a entry on Brogmoids in general in the Encyclopedia Frobozzica, and good amount on them in the Z: GI backstory I transcribed.

Brogmoids come in both hairy and non-hairy versions. ;)
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well yes I knew that... but its not on the list and so therefore the closest thing to it is an Ogre.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

LOL!!! so it is something in between troll and ogre...  I appreciate that, I am not much of a reader, I need to read more I guess... however, I must admit, I did read A LOT in order to pass Nemesis, I remember writing notes all of the time and even drawing the elements, and the little rectangular pieces from the monastery... you know? those that would go with the faces: flirtacious, angry... what else?... well, the other emotions I dont remember about, AH!  I need to play that game again!  that part was one of my faves, it was so much fun!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

BTW does anyone remember what were the Mushroom People?  if you want you can do a search in Google for "mushroom people return to zork"

its depressing :'(

can I post a link to it here?  I wont be breaking any rules will I?
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

I've modified the poll, thanks to all who helped out, I do believe there is a way to remove your vote and vote for something else, thanks!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Post the URL.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

thanks!

you can find more info about the mushroom people here:
http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/gam ... ecrets.htm

I think that in all the Zork games, RTZ was the game that they omitted the most scenes and places from, what wouldn't I give to have at least the drawings or graphics that were omitted!  That game should have been longer... although being as long as it was and ME staying up late for close to 2 months trying to figure out what to do (before I got the book in 1994) you must understand that the night I passed the game as soon as I passed it, I was feeling like, oh my gosh, for the next couple of weeks I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do every night. :( those were the good old days *snifle* :'(

when I got the book months later I played it again and passed it, over again... the feeling of loneliness was even stronger, I really got attached to that game, I wonder what my life would have been like without it... pretty boring I bet
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Man I hear you... I used to play adventure games the HARD way, WITHOUT cheating at all. Man I can tell you I spent many a months playing games, Nemesis was pretty hard, phew. I sometimes would cheat only if I spent 6 hours on a puzzle hahahaha. Now the game that took me 6 months to beat was 'Ripper' by Take2, that game was so freaking hard that EVEN with a walkthrough guide (I used it only for puzzles) it still took me 6months to finish!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Man I hear you... I used to play adventure games the HARD way, WITHOUT cheating at all. Man I can tell you I spent many a months playing games, Nemesis was pretty hard, phew. I sometimes would cheat only if I spent 6 hours on a puzzle hahahaha. Now the game that took me 6 months to beat was 'Ripper' by Take2, that game was so freaking hard that EVEN with a walkthrough guide (I used it only for puzzles) it still took me 6months to finish!

I would appreciate it if you guys recommended games that are 1st person perspective very similar to the graphical Zork games, something pretty normal, just keep in mind that I dont like too much violent scenes or sexual stuff in a game, the few things in Nemesis were very acceptable for me, although I'd still not let my son play the game until he is a little older.  Some things may traumatize him (he is only 9) my cute baby...  huh, what was I talking about?... oh yeah the games; please let me know

I'd appreciate it :)
Last edited by MacCentris on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

you must understand that the night I passed the game as soon as I passed it, I was feeling like, oh my gosh, for the next couple of weeks I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do every night. :( those were the good old days *snifle* :'(

when I got the book months later I played it again and passed it, over again... the feeling of loneliness was even stronger, I really got attached to that game, I wonder what my life would have been like without it... pretty boring I bet
You are making me consider digging out one of my old computers so I can play RTZ again. It has been so long, (at least 6 years)  it'll feel like the first time I play it.  Neither my Win XP or my Win ME laptop want to admit to its existence no matter what. The laptop will play the video, but with no sound and it crashes very early on.  

But I know what you mean about missing the games. I feel that way about Z:GI. I got it the day it came out and finished it in less than three weeks. I would have dragged it out a lot longer had I known. I got the guide earlier this year. I read the backstory slowly to make it last as long as possible.  I KNEW it might be the last official Zork info I ever found!  

Anyway, as to other 1st person games, I really liked Riven. IMO, it is much better than Myst. It also features some of the prettiest landscapes I've ever seen in a game. The story is a bit stronger, too.  
Fantine
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by Fantine »

I don't know if it counts, but "Titanic: Adventure out of Time" is one my favorites.  I highly recomend it, but there is only one "perfect" ending, and though there are a couple of ways to get to it, it is darned frustrating to find out you've missed one little detail and thus end up losing.  Save often. :)

It has *awesome* music, beautiful settings...and a lot of puzzles ranging from easy to the downright maddening.   Love it!!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it as soon as I can!  ;)