Zork: The Hidden Evil

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Zork: The Hidden Evil

Post by MacCentris »

hey, I created an account, I posted this in the wrong board, I heard some talk about this game that its supposed to be under development, how true is that?

I am DESPERATE for a new Zork game.... let me try that again, I AM DESPERATE for a new ZORK game...  I think you got the idea.  I appreciate your help!!!!!  THANKS!!!!

Liliana
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Zork: The Hidden Evil

Post by DataAngel »

NP... to answer your question. We had started a fan game titled Zork: The Hidden Evil and yes there WAS a page up with some pics etc. and some storyline. Since then it has been removed. Effectively the project has been cancelled. We were too ambitious and with schedules involved it wasn't seemly for us at the time. Perhaps in the future we will continue developement.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Ok, I happened to be looking for Zork info and happened to find the website of one of Zork Nemesis graphic artists, now please I beg any of you to use this only as reference, since I believe that she helped me with all good intentions. That means don't flood this person's website for requests about the game ( :-/ ) sorry I had to say it just in case...

I emailed her and this is what it was about:

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 12:40 PM
Subject: Contacting Eni Oken

Name: Liliana
Comments: Greetings,

I don't want to take too much of your time.  I understand you are a
graphic designer for computer games.  I am a fan of the Zork series, and appreciate your contribution to such great game(s).  I also understand that the Zork series have sadly disappeared.

Fans have been left saddened, wondering if they'll ever have such
enchanting experience again.

The rights to the Zork series is owned by Activision, last I heard.  Do
you happen to know anything else about it?  I already contacted Activision, and they were *not only* pretty rude about it, but they were also not helpful at all.  I appreciate to hear from you if you are interested in this matter.

Thanks
Liliana Pubill
email: newgolddream8283@aol.com

REPLY:

Liliana, thanks for the interest and the message. Yes, I did work on that
beautiful game, and I too was sad to see that they did not continue the
series.

I have no contact with Activision anymore since I have switched  to a
different career, many years now. So unfortunately, I can't help you to find more info on it.

I wish you good luck!

---
Eni Oken
Jewelry Artist
www.enioken.com
~Online lessons on jewelry making~
"There is nothing more precious than life."
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Then I could also supply the letter I wrote to Activision.  As a matter of fact I will and the reply is at the bottom, BTW the reply was so insulting I think I wish they's sell the rights to the Zork games to another company.   >:(

Customer - 01/24/2005 11:15 PM
Activision:  Can you please, please, please create a Zork game that is sequel to Return To Zork with the same place and scenery 20-30 years after the time of this one, with the same people played by older actors, with descendants of the people here, and some kids. I also hope they use the Mushroom People they omitted from the final RTZ release.  After I finished this game I was really looking forward to something very similar, but I have never found anything as
good as this one, not Nemesis, not Inquisitor.  I can help write the story for you!  Or you can use a piece of all the stories all Zork fans in the world have.  Make a contest to use a piece of story from fans all over the world.  This game was priceless and I will rush to get it as soon as a new one comes out.  Thank you!

REPLY FROM ACTIVISION:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Activision: Can you please, please create a Zork game that is sequel ...

Discussion Thread
Response (Aaron Roseman) - 01/25/2005 11:50 AM
Hello.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Sorry, but Activision does not develop games anymore. Activision acts primarily as a publisher.

If you would like to possibly see a game idea made into a game it is best to try a developer. Find a game developer who is interested in your idea, and then work up a game design with the developer. It's important that a design be done with the help of someone who understands the technical limitations of the hardware
systems.

Our recommendation for a job in the gaming industry is to finish school, learn about programming, computers, computer graphics, video game design, etc. and then get a job with a game development or publishing company.

Auto-Response - 01/24/2005 11:15 PM
Title: Blank or black screen when attempting to run game
Link:
http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ ... =999639588

Title: How do I access the inventory
Link:

Title: Not working on PowerPC
Link:

Title: MPEG version does not work on my iMac
Link:

Question Reference #050124-000377
 Product Level 1: Macintosh
 Product Level 2: Return to Zork
    Date Created: 01/24/2005 11:15 PM
    Last Updated: 01/25/2005 11:50 AM

Explanation

[---001:002927:14956---]

Aaron Roseman
Activision Customer Support Representative
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Our recommendation for a job in the gaming industry is to finish school, learn about programming, computers, computer graphics, video game design, etc. and then get a job with a game development or publishing company.
I dont get it.  A comment like that its insulting, I did go to college, for a year but I don't consider myself any better than anyone who has never been.  Neither Steve Jobs or Bill Gates had gone to college when they became insanely rich with computers.

Sorry that's kinda off topic... but his reply was off topic too.  At least if he had been a little more helpful. :(
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I don't know.  I think the reply from ActiVision was quite nice.  It answered your question, gave reasons, and offered advice.  The tone seemed frindly and sincere to me.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

I just don't consider appropriate the fact that he says "finish school"...  Did he somehow assumed I didn't finish school and that there was something wrong with my question?  Ok, maybe I am being a little oversensitive here, but it sounded sarcastic at some point.

Or is that a standard answer they give to everyone?  Also he practically said "you want a new Zork game make it yourself!" not that I wouldn't want to; but it would take me many years to be able to develop such game, my boyfriend is an expert in graphic design, but nevertheless, making a game that complicated and sophisticated usually takes at least 10 people working together, nobody would put the time unless is a sure thing to pay in the near future.

Basically he says, make the game and we publish it.  Well, is anyone willing?  Surely there must be a bunch of people who are willing, but where are they?  :(

One last thing, what the heck are they doing with the rights to Zork then?  Can we make a cool game and name it Zork?  Will they let us? that's very unlikely.