Adventure withdrawals?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

Adventure withdrawals?

Post by Reaver »

I was curious as to whether or not I am the only person on this board that has not played an adventure game since the zork series stopped.  If anyone else is, please tell me.
Not Afgncaap5

Re: Adventure withdrawals?

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

Well, I think I have played since then. Not sure, because ZGI may be the most recent adventure game that I've played in terms of when it was released.  Maybe I've played others, I know I just recently played Myst finally as of the beginning of the new year, but Myst came out way before ZGI, so I don't know if that counts.  I have played games after ZGI, that might be adventure, but no point and click stuff anyway.  Of course that's irrelevant to a lack of a new Zork, just a lack of money to buy any other game.  Oh, and most of the adventure games I'd want are "old school" and will only run in DOS, which is a pain when I'm running Windows 2000.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I have played other games since then, ie Myst3, I also played through ZN and Sanitarium recently as well.
Doug
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Doug »

I played this game called "Beyond Atlantis" it's kind of like an adventure game, except those puzzles are really tough, and i think it is next to impossible for an amature adventurer to do those puzzles with out one of those wimpy walkthroughs.  I concider myself a professional so naturally i wouldn't need such things.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I don't know about that hehe. If you REALLY think you are some pro at adventure gaming, which I am of course ;-} then you need to try your skills with the game 'Ripper' which has Christopher Walkin in it, just to make sure you get the correct game. That is one friggin tough game. I first played it in I think 96 when it came out, so that was when I was ~15 years old. Considering I might be rusty now and its been a good long time since I really played a good challenging adventure game, my status of pro. may be more like mid-pro. heh
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

I tried a game called "Beyond Time" (that's time, not atlantis) but unfortunately I'd have to downgrade to QuickTime 2.12, and it wouldn't even install it anyway.
Other than that I've played every Zork, and all 3 Mysts, all 3 Journeyman Projects, both 7th Guest and 11th Hour, Full Throttle, Sanitarium, Grim Fandango, Obsidian and maybe stuff I can't remember at this moment.
Can't say which is really challenging, because I'm sure that sort of thing is different per person.  I for one hated playing against Stauf in 11th hour, but maybe DataAngel finds it easy.
Any adventure games I've gotten recently have a bit of combat, and are on console.  As in Fatal Frame, Ico, and Silent Hill 2 (though I never liked Resident Evil).
I think that pretty much exhausts all I can say about my adventure gaming.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Which Zork game do you guys think is the hardest, or most Challenging???? Personally i think that Return to Zork were the hardest, and that ZGIwas the easyiest out of all of them.

What do the rest of you guys think?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

yeah, RTZ was quite the stumbler... aint walkthroughs grand! although I don't like them sometimes you just need them to keep yourself from pulling out your hair lol.
Doug

Post by Doug »

that is very true,  allthough i think that walktroughs are the devil,...... I hd to use one to beat half of the game RTZ and i am allways ashamed of it, but meh..... you have to be an absolute genious,  or have a computer for a brain to beat that one because one wrong thing would screw you over.
Not Afgncaap5

Post by Not Afgncaap5 »

Yeah, I'd have to agree that RTZ is the hardest.  It was hard to an annoying level.  It had mazes and slider puzzles, the two most hated sorts of puzzles in an adventure game.  Also as Doug pointed out, if you did something like 'cut' the Bonding Plant in the beginning, you'd get so far in the game before you realized you were screwed.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I've got the official walkthrough for RTZ, and it says that if you eat or burn the Bonding Plant, then a new one will grow at the Mountain Pass.

On testing this out, it did not work. Meaning you can't get a piece of the disc. This is one of the most unobvious puzzles, as it is a while before you learn that Bonding Plants protect you from Depression.

I wish I had a Bonding Plant sometimes :)