How many Zork fans are also Myst fans?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Baryon
A white house, what?

How many Zork fans are also Myst fans?

Post by Baryon »

The Zork and Myst series are very similar in some ways. Both concern lost and/or fallen underground civilizations with special powers or abilities. Both are oriented around puzzles and story more than other games. Both have ended due to reasons best described by the phrase 'commercial viability'.

I like both Zork and Myst. Do you?
Fantine
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Re: How many Zork fans are also Myst fans?

Post by Fantine »

Myst just never endeared me the way Zork did.  I've always found Zork games to be very rewarding to play, fail, and win.  

Myst just bored me for some reason.  

I'm sure I'm in the minority though. :)  
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I kinda liked Myst1 and Myst3 wasn't too bad. However, they were very boring.

On the other hand we have Zork, very fun and not boring.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I like the MYST series very much.  Visually stunning, great puzzles, emersive environment.  I think Nemesis is pretty MYST-like.  My favorite of the MYST series, by far,  is Riven.
FireCandy
A white house, what?

Post by FireCandy »

Graphically Myst is better. It's a treat to the eyes at first. Atmospherically I'm always impressed with each Myst game in the beginning but as you continue into the game it becomes rather sedate.
Zork TGI is a ridiculous yet clever game, Nemesis is creepy and claustrophobic but still retains a sense of humour.
It's funny though, the Zork adventurer seems to me more isolated even though in Myst you are sort of invisible. I suppose it's because it's easier to get involved in Zork as the storytelling and character of the game is stronger.
Last edited by FireCandy on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.