New member... well sortof

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Quendorian_King
A white house, what?

New member... well sortof

Post by Quendorian_King »

Hello everyone,

I used to hang around this forum for a while a few years back.... probably 6 years ago. Anyway... I'm glad to see that TZL is still running strong. I had to come back because I found my old zork collection after unpacking some boxes after my move and I pretty much spent my opening first few days at my new house playing all the zork games... good times and good memories!!!! Then I thought of this forum and had to see if it was still around.

I've been out of the loop over the past few years... Last time I checked in there were talks of a fan made Zork game... any progress/info on that?

Either way... gotta always show my support for the future of zork... I mean come on.. if they brought back "system shock" (Bioshock) then Zork has gotta make a triumphant return as well!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: New member... well sortof

Post by DataAngel »

Thanks for stoppin by!

Z:THE has been more or less cancelled put on indefinite hold pending a devoted/able team.

Feel free to stick around and stay a while. :)
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

See the topic just above this one entitled "Finally! A new Zork game.  TAP is here."  Or, check out the author's website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pdrallos1 ... F/dotd.htm

"TAP" stands for Text Adventure Prequel, but the game's real name is Dawn of the Demon.  It is the text adventure prequel for the Z:THE game which we failed to complete.  However, the text adventure is complete.  So if you want to play something new and something Zork, check it out.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

While we're on the subject, I wanted to announce that, about ten minutes ago, I added a Java Z-code interpreter to my Dawn of the Demon page (see link in previous post).

That means that you can now play Dawn of the Demon in your web browser, instantly!

You don't even have to be online to play.  Once it starts, it continues to run in your browser even if you go off-line.

Unfortunately, the "save" feature only works as long as the game is continues.
Quendorian_King
A white house, what?

nice.. a prequel eh? I'll definitely have to check it out! on the topic of Zork:THE, how far did the process go until production halted? I'm really interested in this because I do believe that the last time I was here it was in the story board phase. Is there any hard material as of yet and were there ever any investors involved or just those who are committed enough to produce something like this?
I think that it needs to be brought back... mabey just wishful thinking.. lol
Quendorian_King
A white house, what?

Ohhh and DAT.... I see that you are still the "authorized protector of the famed coconut of quendor" That is good news indeed!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

You can thank Dr. Paul for the work on Z:DotD, for it was by his hand it became a reality. I should have mentioned that in my first reply. Glad to hear about the online version.

As for Z:THE, that is a good question at what state it was at. I myself had spent MANY many hours on a sort of outline for the game, in that sense what might think of it as a storyboard for the game. I never completed it because the game halted so fast, I did not see the need to continue with it without a team with which to discuss it. We had been discussing an engine we might use and how we wanted the game mechanics to be represented. We had also discussed graphics, we did have some renders up, but those are by far a alpha state. No working game saw the light of day. We did not reach a working model with which to ask for investment for the project, the project was by the fans for the fans nothing more. For now I will say that it would be nice to start up again believe me. However finding dedicated people is difficult, I myself had no idea what I was getting us into and am currently very busy in life. At some point I know that I will have time to pick up Z:THE again and at that time I will be devoted to the process. At that time I would like a team with skills that can work on it, but most likely it will be a one or two man operation.