Malveaux (from Nemesis) sighting

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Malveaux (from Nemesis) sighting

Post by DataAngel »

Yep, got a buddy coming over to watch it. Same friend that watched the first one with me when I rented it. 2 hours and its on!
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

I'm recording it for when I have more time, but I can't wait to see it. The newspaper gave it one of the most mixed reviews I've ever seen, but sometimes they have no sense of fun!

Oh, and I read that there's a jeweled skull in the beginning of the movie--very Zork 1.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yep, just finished watching it. It wasn't bad. Neither movie is superb, but they were both fun.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I just finished watching it a few minutes ago. There are some very amusing Zorkish moments. I half expected the vampire bats to carry Flynn away. :) And the Casablanca line! Ha! I want a screenshot of Flynn next to the lanterns. Flynn would make a great DM. He reminded me more of my 1st DM Mylon in this one. And it was cool seeing Eric Avari as a villain again. I wish there had been more of him.

That said, I liked the first Librarian movie better. Flynn's utter geekiness, innocence and wonder mixed with foolish courage made him different and endearing. Here he's sort of an Indiana Jones lite. And his relationship with Nicole was much more interesting than with this girl. There's no real development of her character other than just being the prerequisite female romantic interest/sidekick. The action was better in the first movie, too.

It was certainly fun and worth watching, though.
DiamondGenerator

There, I got around to watching it!
I knew it hadn't lost the fun of the first movie when I saw the part with the self-playing panpipes. I loved those for some reason.
And though the most he appeared was when Flynn and Emily were nearly totemized--I mean otherwise killed in the end, Eric Avari did make a great villain.

I agree on the amusing Zorkish moments part--I thought just the same thing about him with the lanterns. And whenever I see the floating sword, the first thing that pops into my head is "one-armed purple monster".
The death of Avari's character made me think, "that's what SHOULD happen when I try to 'attack blank with torch'" (try it on the thief; the game responds that such an attempt is suicidal)!

I also liked the first better because I liked Nicole's character more as well, but also because the sequel was lacking in funny lines compared to the first one. But then again, what could beat "I've been *cahooted*!"

Overall, a fun movie for a friday evening. :)
Last edited by DiamondGenerator on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

LOL! I think I remember trying to kill the thief with the torch. And yes, that IS what should happen. I suppose it wouldn't be as dramatic as the fight with the sword. But a torch should certainly be a deadly weapon!

The first movie's novelization has even more funny moments than the movie itself. It is too bad there won't be a novilization for this movie. Only a graphic novel with dubious art. I think it could have done a lot to fill in its weak spots.
DiamondGenerator

Looked up the graphic novel and found some of the art--a funner looking style would have been more fitting. Heh, maybe I could draw my own cover art for it sometime.
DiamondGenerator

Ah--in case anyone missed The Librarian 2 (like I almost did!), I just recently noticed that you can rent it on video already.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Speaking of the Librarian movies, I just spotted this. From an interview with the executive producer, Dean Devlin:

Dean Devlin: Next up we're going to do a big science fiction film called Isobar. We're hoping to start shooting that this summer. Then after that we will do the third episode of The Librarian franchise with Noah Wyle. The third one is gonna be a lot of fun. It takes place in New Orleans and we're really looking forward to making it. We think it's gonna be something really special.

Does that currently have a title?

Dean Devlin: Yes, it's called The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.

Here's a link to the whole interview:

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/05/17205.php

New Orleans likely means a voodoo theme. I'll be curious to see what Flynn gets up to next. :)
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Sweet! I am looking forward to it already!
DiamondGenerator

Ooh. Sounds fun.
And I'm a bit curious about the Isobar movie as well...
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

The original Librarian (from 2004) is on TNT right now!
Check listings.  It'll probably be on again soon.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Ok.  The Librarian: Quest for the Spear is over and now they're running The Librarian: Return to King Soloman's Mines.  I checked TV Guide to see when these will be repeated again and it came up empty for the next two weeks.  Sorry.

I gotta say, I liked the first one (Quest for the Spear) the most.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Some info with a bit about the plot of the 3rd Librarian movie here: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-tntth ... 7020.story

The relevant text:

The most mild-mannered action hero in TV history will be back on TNT late this year.

The cable network has begun production on the third installment of its "Librarian" franchise, with former "ER" star Noah Wyle reprising his title role. The movie, titled "The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice," is scheduled to premiere in late 2008.

Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin will reprise their roles as well, and Bruce Davison ("Knight Rider," "X-Men") and Stana Katic ("Heroes") will join the cast for the new film. Jonathan Frakes ("Star Trek: The Next Generation"), who helmed the second "Librarian" film, is also returning as director.

"Curse of the Judas Chalice" will once again center on Wyle's Flynn Carsen, a librarian at the New York Metropolitan Library who also keeps guard over the world's greatest treasures (both real and mythical). After a series of dreams leads him to New Orleans (where the film began production this week), he gets tangled up in a conspiracy involving both the chalice and the legendary vampire Count Vlad Dracula.

Katic plays a jazz singer whom Dracula turned into a vampire some 400 years ago and who has dedicated herself to hunting him down. Davison will play a professor who holds key information about the chalice.

Both previous "Librarian" films have scored strong ratings for TNT. The first film, in 2004, drew better than 7 million viewers, and the 2006 sequel pulled in 6.2 million viewers.

Sounds interesting!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Excellent! Almost forgot about the 2nd movie... ok fine I DID forget, but not anymore! :D