New Zork Remake in Development

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Nowhere Gaming
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

New Zork Remake in Development

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

Hello fellow fans of ZORK! My name is Marc and I am the Project Director for Nowhere Gaming.  I have been visiting The Zork Library for years but never posted on the forum before.  Now I have VERY good reason to.  Nowhere Gaming is developing a ZORK Trilogy remake - taking the original text-based adventures and remaking them in full-graphical form.  We have chosen ZORK as our first project because, not only are we HUGE fans, but the ZORK series of games has always set the standard for those games that came after them.  The remakes will be EXACTLY like the originals- the rooms are the same, tha puzzles are the same, even the descriptions of the rooms are the same.  You can even use the original maps and invisi-clues.  The game is currently scheduled for a Summer 2009 release to honor the 30th anniversary of the creation of Dungeon, which for those of you out there pretending to be true ZORK fans and don't know what that is, its the game that the ZORK Trilogy was divided from.  You can check out the game and it's current status at http://www.nowheregaming.net. We have been working on it in silence for the past few months and now have enough done to confirm it will be released on time, barring any major developmental problems.  It's not a major graphical masterpiece - but that's not what ZORK was about.  It was about the story and your interaction with the game world.  Games these days focus too much on bigger, better graphics and the storyline suffers as a result.

Check out the game and let us know what you think.  We are giving The ZORK Library exclusive coverage of this.  All the latest news on the project will be known here before anywhere else.

Thank you for your time and your support.
Last edited by Nowhere Gaming on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: New Zork Remake in Development

Post by DrPaul »

Since ActiVision owns the rights to Zork, I gotta ask.  Have you guys cleared all this with ActiVision?  Are they cool with it?
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Wonderful! I would love nothing better than to see this happen. :) Though I would anticipate II & III even more!

Are you making this as a free game? If so I can't see why Activision would bother getting too excited about it.
Nowhere Gaming

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

Yes, it will be a free game. We are working on it in our spare time. I don't see Activision giving up the rights to ZORK, even though they don't use them.
Brightblade
A white house, what?

Post by Brightblade »

AWESOME!  I can't wait to play it!  Is there any special requirements to sign up for the beta testing?

As a side note for the website, the Nowhere Gaming logo link is broken, going to http://home.htm.
Nowhere Gaming

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

Thanks. The bug has been fixed.
Nowhere Gaming

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

AWESOME!  I can't wait to play it!  Is there any special requirements to sign up for the beta testing?

As a side note for the website, the Nowhere Gaming logo link is broken, going to http://home.htm.
No special requirements needed to sign up for the beta. We just ask that you report all bugs at the Beta Center which will open when ZORK beta is released.
zorket

Post by zorket »

;D  Can't wait - just signed up to be a Beta tester, too!!!!!!!

zorket
Brightblade
A white house, what?

Post by Brightblade »

The Beta testing page didn't work for me at the Nowhere gaming page:-(

I filled out all the forms and when I hit submit, I got the following error:
There was an error while processing your form input:

Incorrect request to userForms

Please go back and try again.
To see how I filled out the form:
http://brightblade.com/images/nowheregaming1.JPG

I deleted what I entered for my password, you might consider using the type="password" so the browser will hide what the user is typing.

I'm using Firefox 3.0, although I tried Internet Explorer 7, same error.
Last edited by Brightblade on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I recommend that everyone intersted in beta testing sign up for an account at my sister site http://gamerswithin.com and join the NowhereGaming Guild

Any thoughts Marc?
Last edited by DataAngel on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nowhere Gaming

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

I recommend that everyone intersted in beta testing sign up for an account at my sister site http://gamerswithin.com and join the NowhereGaming Guild

Any thoughts Marc?
Thats a great idea.  Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of weeks, been busy over the summer.  Things are moving smoothly with development and we look forward to begin beta testing on time.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I too was extremely busy with summer stuff...

http://gamerswithin.com/nowheregaming/ is officially up, ill get the site up and running as soon as i can now that im not playing Mass Effect anymore after last night. ::)
Nowhere Gaming

Post by Nowhere Gaming »

Looks great!  I just sent the game over to our chief programer now that the gfx are done.  Everything is on schedule guys.  If there are any graffic artists here who would like to lend a hand on Zork II and III, we could use the help.  We need to make new map and item sets from scratch for both and could use the help.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

... aren't you going to sign up? :o
Brightblade
A white house, what?

Post by Brightblade »

I signed up.

I'm a programmer and unfortunately, I do not have any graphical skills to help :(

Can't wait to beta test it and break things :)