Best Zork Format For Future Games?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Ashki
A white house, what?

Best Zork Format For Future Games?

Post by Ashki »

What does everyone feel is the best format for future installments in the Zork saga? Should they be the traditional text adventure? An IF with basic graphical support (BZ or the more graphical Zork Zero)? Graphical adventure ala RTZ - ZGI? MMO (adventure or RPG)? Or something completely different? I personally lean towards the ZZ style graphical text adventure but would appreciate the input for a possible future project.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Best Zork Format For Future Games?

Post by Siriusstar »

Although part of me would LOVE to see a fully realized graphical adventure with artwork on a scale with the game 'Keepsake' and an awesome 'just enough' story along the lines of the Enchanter Trilogy, I'd be happy with any true Zork adventure game in any format. I definitely like the ZZ type graphics in the text adventures. I also think they're a bit friendlier to newcomers. I know that was the reason back in 1995 that I played ZZ first... it was just more approachable.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

It's no secret that I'm a text adventure fan. I'd like to see plain text (like the original trilogy) or text with the Zork Zero style graphics. Full graphic games are also great, but the one style I did not like was the split-screen style of Beyond Zork. I really hated that interface.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I am always a fan of graphics for Zork. Txt only games are boring to me, no music, no artwork... I enjoy reading books and imagining the world and chars. etc. but that is immensly easier than having to imagine items scattered about, their locations, puzzles to solve, where to go, what to do and how everything looks... This tends to be far more work than the reward of playing, thus making it difficult for me to enjoy. Perhaps if the room descriptions and item descriptions followed in the same detail that William Gibson uses in his books like Neuromancer, id be happier.

As for what style, I think that everyone and their mother are trying to do mmo and that would be an epic fail for Zork imo, the last thing and even what makes LoZ so insanely boring is the grinding, until a proper mmo is released that removes that element, mmo's will still be no fun for me with the exception being games like Guild Wars where its focus is story. Id simply prefer a good ole classic adventure game like RTZ, Nemesis, or GI! 8)
zorket
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by zorket »

I would have to agree that Zork Nemesis or GI would be the best venue for a new game. The text adventures with no graphics to me are much better than text adventures with a "picture"/art. So, my vote would be for a purist style game - or go big.

I'm not really getting into the new rpg online game - I am playing (I have two characters) and am moving up the ranks - but it's just more "click the button", "click the button", "click the button"....I really don't have to do any puzzle solving at all. Which is one thing I dearly love about Zork. The puzzle solving with the new quests is so simple, there's no point. I want a challenge...make me think.