Zork Inconsistencies

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Reaver

Zork Inconsistencies

Post by Reaver »

I was going through various Zork papers (books, manuals, games, etc) and noticed a few historical inaccuracies.  Out of curiousity, I decided to post about it here and start a discussion of various Zork inconsistencies and possible explanations for them.
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: Zork Inconsistencies

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

And what are the inconsistencies you found?
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I'm not sure if I am remembering things incorrectly or not, but I always thought that the fort near Egreth Castle was Fort Griffspotter, which would put it in the Westlands.  However, Nemesis states that Fort Griffspotter is one of Antharia's forts, and that Duncanthrax destroyed it.  The novel Lost City of Zork agrees with my location for it.  I could swear I read somewhere that the fort in Sorcerer was Fort Griffspotter.

This is the biggest one.  I'll post others as I remember them.  A big number of conflicts can be found at the Chronology of Quendor.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Oh, in ZN the consevetory is near to a dam, and I'm pretty sure it says #7, which would very likely mean Flood Control Dam #7, which should not exsist.

I think the biggest inconsistencies of all in the Zork series, is the fact wethere or not Zork is on top of a huge brogmoid, or a spinning sphere in the infities of space. In ZN it says one thing, in ZZ another.
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

The whole brogmoid/coconut thing was a religious debate. Neither side was right, as shown in ZN. And as far as #7...if that is a dam, it could mean sluice gate 7. And it wouldn't have to be FCD 7. It could be anything.

I haven't played Sorcerer or any of those parts, but I've been meaning to. I started Enchanter in the fall but never got anywhere.

Seeing that I know a few things of Zork history that no one else has heard about (thank you Zork History Book), maybe my history page will clear at least two or three things up. I'm bored now, might as well go back and type some more.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Actually, in Zork Zero you see the Brogmoid holding up the world, and can fall to the world below it.  However, in Grand Inquisitor the Brogmoid is holding up the entire Solar System.

And it is meant to be Flood Control Dam #7.  Someone asked Laird before, he says the map has a typo listing it as FCD#3, but it should be 7.  And that is not an inconsistency that I can see.  It could be another Dam, possibly with a random number, either built by Dimwit after #3, or by another king, and just never gained the same popularity.
Last edited by Reaver on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frobozz8
A white house, what?

Post by Frobozz8 »

were did you get the Zork history book
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Where did you get the knowledge about the Broigmoid from ZGI?
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

I don't know if you can still get it. I found it at a game store.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Concerning the Brogmoid, it is one of the death sequences you can get.  I think it was if you totemize yourself and get sent to the Endless/Infinite void, it shows the Brogmoid.
The Lensman

Post by The Lensman »

"Seeing that I know a few things of Zork history that no one else has heard about (thank you Zork History Book), maybe my history page will clear at least two or three things up. I'm bored now, might as well go back and type some more."

What is the actual title of the book? Author? Could you scan the cover? I'd like to track a copy down if possible.
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Nemesis, would it be too much to ask if you would like to scan the book and put in on the net?
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

As I said Basse, I'm currently converting it to html for my website.

I'll see what I can do as far as scanning the cover.
Frobozz8
A white house, what?

Post by Frobozz8 »

hummm..... I have never heard of a zork history book
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Basse »

Oh, sorry hehe. I've found a very small one, which just keep nagging me for some reason. In the ZN manual, at the second page, it referes Bivotar as 'Agent L. Bivotar', but one the next page it says Agent Karlok Bivotar.

Probably just a typo though.