Hi there

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Chris
A white house, what?

Hi there

Post by Chris »

What a terrific forum. I've just come across this website for the first time. I'm a very long-time Infocom fanatic, and I've written Inform 6 and 7 games, and published some books, and stopping this sentence now, because it's more ego-like than its writer actually is, and appears to be enough by way of shy introduction anyway.

In past years, I wrote some articles about the Zork trilogy and the original mainframe Dungeon, which have been read by close enough to nobody as makes no odds. Would this forum be a good place to post them, just for fun, or is there already more available tangential Info-prose than anyone truly wants? :)

Another question. This bit of the registration process is a bit spooky: "You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where 'The Zork Library' is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us."

My goodness! What would those wrong things be? Has this ever happened to a forum member? I'd hate to have my ISP notified that I've accidentally sexually harrassed everyone by, for instance, typing "member" earlier in this paragraph.

Thanks for this site, and for reading my silly and verbose self-introduction. I find it's impolite to just pop up on a new message board without letting anyone know what one is doing there, if he should perhaps be lynched straightaway before he can do any serious damage to the English language, etc.

I can't see the Gnome of Zurich anywhere!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Hi there

Post by MacCentris »

Chris wrote:This bit of the registration process is a bit spooky: "You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where 'The Zork Library' is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us."

My goodness! What would those wrong things be? Has this ever happened to a forum member? I'd hate to have my ISP notified that I've accidentally sexually harrassed everyone by, for instance, typing "member" earlier in this paragraph.
The all common forum TOS rules. All forums I've been to, have something along those lines. Basically means, don't curse at anyone, and do not use language that you wouldn't share with someone like your grandma or your child. Don't be surprised though, there are people who DO curse a lot and are not ashamed of pushing sexual explicit language on everyone they find. As long as you're nice and don't curse you'll have a great home here ;)

The Zork help forum http://thezorklibrary.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=4 is perhaps the best place any hints and guides should go into. It is definitely the place we've done it for years. There is talk about the site expanding soon, there might be more help sections, and we are not completely sure yet but a wiki is also an option we've been contemplating. User made guides make great content for wikis.

Lil
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

Welcome to the Zork Library, Chris! I'm Kevin, the new administrator of the website. You showed up at a good time because we're in the planning process of finding new ways to improve the website. You can see some of the new things going on in the TZL News section and some planning going on in this thread. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

Feel free to post those articles here. There's not much new Zork content these days, so we're always eager to have new things to read.

Yeah, those forum posting terms are just the standard stuff. It's mainly just there to give me the option to ban at will spammers and really unruly/inappropriate posters.

Anyway, welcome and have fun!
Chris
A white house, what?

Post by Chris »

Thanks very much! I appreciate the info. I'll drool over the contents of the library itself before ascertaining if I can actually add anything useful rather than extraneous. :)
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

Welcome! :)

So nice to see new folk around here. Personally speaking, there isn't nearly enough tangential info-prose around, so I'd like to see your articles. What books have you published?

Joline
Chris
A white house, what?

Post by Chris »

Thanks! I've been reading and reading and reading. This is a terrific forum/storehouse/treasure room.

I feel conceited posting Amazon links, so I'll just describe them as books that attempt what could be called "bizarre humor." The last two (the only ones I still like...ain't that always the way?) are Read This Instead and the gloriously sacrilegious The Wacky Adventures of God. PM me if you ever get curious, and I'll just send you a PDF. (As you can see, I'm horrible at self-promotion. I only wrote them for fun, anyway. :))

I've posted a long article in the thread called "The GUE Tour" in Zork Chat. I should have added this message to the first post before the "Edit" feature expired: There are spoilers throughout! I suppose it didn't occur to me that anyone here might not have played through the original trilogy.

Thanks again for the welcomes. Hopefully, I'll soon be of more use to these forums in a more dialogue-oriented manner, rather than just pasting my for-Zork-nerds-only essays!