Read write error

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

chucksaw1962
A white house, what?

Read write error

Post by chucksaw1962 »

I finally got Zork Grand Inquisitor to work on Vista. Everything was working fine. I retreived the cube, coconut, and the skull being the last one. When I exit and about to be thrown in jail, I get a read, write error and it says it could my computer hardware. What's going on?
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Read write error

Post by MacCentris »

I would hate to be in your shoes having retrieved more than half of the items and tasks to complete the game but I am suffering from a similar problem in a Macintosh, game plays fine until we get to Dalboz house, then it quits unexpectedly with an error message. Those are the horrible side effects of a company like Activision taking the rights from Zork, no support for any operating system made after the game was made at all. If I could say "oh yeah they had support for a couple of years" but not even that, any operating system made after the game was released was unsupported. Then they turn to a mere publishing company "we now only put our name on good games" (yeah their response is somewhere around my older posts) it's a shame. I haven't found one good game with the "Activision" name on it ever since. Anyway, I feel your pain and hope you can get it working so that you can finish the game somehow. Apologies for adding more strain into your perplexing situation. :-\
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Re: Read write error

Post by KM3K »

I see you solved your problem. For others who may have this problem and want the solution, see this post: http://thezorklibrary.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=433