Zork still has followers

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Zork still has followers

Post by Nemesis »

Recently I got my friend to download all the text Zork games, and from what I can tell, he likes them.

But the reason I say it still has followers is because I let my other friend borrow ZGI, and he said his computer came with it, but he lost it.

So some people out there know Zork besides us.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Zork still has followers

Post by DataAngel »

Thats odd, why on earth would a computer be sold WITH Zork?

Hmmm oh well, guess thats a good thing.
zorket
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by zorket »

Probably because somebody like you (or me) (or anybody else on this board) works in the right place.
Elizabeth
Captain Gregorius

Post by Captain Gregorius »

Greetings! I'm pleased to see there are still some people around who play the Zork games! I,too, have downloaded the old text games and am expecting delightful hours in the next few days (or weeks, who knows!). However, I'd also like to play ZGI again, but Windows XP doesn't seem to agree with that! Installation runs normally, and then, when I try to launch the game, it doesn't find the cd anymore (it's still in the drive, for God's sake!)... Does anyone of you guys know a solution to this problem (anything but re-install Win98 or buy an old computer, please!)
                           Thanks!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I got your email Captain, sorry I have not replied yet. I was trying to think how to get it running.

I have a tutorial for DOS games, which should help you install win98 to play ZGI, you can also try a sort of compatibility mode within XP(I know 2k has it). If you choose to go the route of installing 98 as a separate partition, you can use a partition manager to help with that. Using a separate drive would be easiest, you can unplug the XP drive temporarily and install the other drive and 98. Plug them both in and change the boot options in the BIOS to use the other drive for booting instead and vice versa.
Captain Gregorius

Post by Captain Gregorius »

Thanks for answering! I've already asked other people, but they would never answer... I was beginning to wonder if there still was Zork fans alive somewhere! I've just tried the compatibilty mode thingy (which also exists on XP) but it doesn't work... Well, instead of meddling with my hd ( already had conflicting version of Windows problem, which gave me an interresting afternoon formating and reinstalling all), I believe i'll just ask my neighbour to sell/lend me his antique Pentium 166 MHz (or just hit him on the head and run for it since he sometimes has the manners of an hungry grue!). Did I already say i was glad to have found your site? I'm a little too short on time to become a full member but I'll certainly come back...
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Wish I could have helped more, but if it won't work it won't... no way around that. We'll you have already posted 2x, you should sign up, even if you don't post alot.

And I am VERY glad you are glad you found this site. :-} Happy Zorking.