Using the keyboard to pan in ZGI?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

mysticalone
A white house, what?

Using the keyboard to pan in ZGI?

Post by mysticalone »

First, I love this site! It has allowed me to play both Return to Zork and Zork Nemesis without issue!

Now I'm' trying to get ZGI up and running and have come across a couple issues.

Using:
ZGI original DVD
Windows 7 64 bit

I followed the instructions and have gotten it to run but cannot use the keyboard to pan like I could in Nemesis. I saw there was a keyboard configuration file but it didn't list the arrow keys. Do I need to modify that file for them to work? And if so, what command lines do I need to add?

Also, I haven't been able to get the animation to run. I did follow the instructions for getting the sound to work properly, but I think I'm missing out on videos. Like when I took the lantern in for repair, was there supposed to be a video that played there? Also, no video before getting the spell book in the well?

I saw that you needed to download and install DVDExpress or SoftDVD but haven't been able to get them to install. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide and thanks for all the help you've given so far! I couldn't have played them without this site!!
mysticalone
A white house, what?

Re: Using the keyboard to pan in ZGI?

Post by mysticalone »

I did some playing around and discovered that by holding down the left arrow and then pressing the right arrow it moves in slow little jumps... and vice versa. I tried all the different compatibility modes and had the same result. I don't know if it's because I'm using a wireless USB keyboard or what. Was also trying to find the keyboard commands for the game (I've somehow lost the booklet that came with my dvd... I've had this for years and never got around to playing it). I did find it online but there was no mention of the arrow keys in the keyboard commands.

I also disabled MPEG and was able to get the videos but now it crashes (spoiler alert here) when I go and try to get back the lantern after getting Jack arrested. (I just get a black screen with the hand but even when the hand is highlighted I can't grab the lantern.) Will play around more but would love to know if anyone else with windows 7 64 bit got DVDExpress to install.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Re: Using the keyboard to pan in ZGI?

Post by KM3K »

Welcome!

It's been a while since I played the DVD version of ZGI, but I'll see what I can do to help. Honestly, I don't remember ever trying to use keyboard controls for either ZN or ZGI, so I don't know how well they're supposed to work. Are you using the PanRelief tool with ZGI? If so, that may be interfering with the keyboard controls.

For the MPEG video, I don't know if that will work with Windows 7, especially with 64-bit. I recommend DVDExpress or SoftDVD because those are the only ones I've had luck with ZGI recognizing. I don't know how it recognizes the codecs, but it doesn't recognize most MPEG2 codecs. However, I think DVDExpress or SoftDVD only work in Windows 98 and XP. I don't think I've gotten them to work on Windows 7, even in 32-bit. I really doubt they'll work correctly in 64-bit.

Have you looked at the guides for ZEngine? Try the guide for ZEngine using the DVD version of ZGI's data at https://github.com/Marisa-Chan/Zengine/ ... version%29 . It won't use the MPEG2 videos, but it might allow the use of the keyboard.