Zork on Wikipedia

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

brian0918
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Zork on Wikipedia

Post by brian0918 »

To help keep interest in Zork alive, and to show just how much freetime I have, I plan on putting the information from Encyclopedia Frobozzica ( http://jzip.sourceforge.net/frobozz/froba.html ) in the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia ( http://www.wikipedia.org ).

If anyone thinks there are any copyright problems with this, please let me know.   In the pdf of the Encyclopedia, John Holder says "This document may be distributed freely," so I guess it's alright.

To view the entries listed so far, simply go to Wikipedia and search for:

Category: Encyclopedia Frobozzica

If you could hook me up with good images (where possible) of the items listed in the Encyclopedia, I can add them into Wikipedia.  You can email them to me or send them over AIM:

brian0918
Last edited by brian0918 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Zork on Wikipedia

Post by DataAngel »

I don't think there is any copyright against the information being distributed. And as such, its a great idea to add that to wikipedia.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

What about using the title image from Encyclopedia Frobozzica, or using images from the various graphical Zork games?   Any copyright issues there?

Thanks.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

Help!  The folks at Wikipedia keep deleting my Encyclopedia Frobozzica posts, stating that it is a copyright violation, even though I tell them it's from the PDF version and that it says "This document may be distributed freely."  

What can I do?!?!??
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

try emailing them the PDF file itself... and then ask them what proof they have that it is illegal.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

They've seen it and still aren't convinced.  I'm trying to get into contact with the creators, Nino Ruffini and John Holder.  I've sent them emails, but no reply so far.

On another note, would I be able to copy the pictures in the Flathead Calendar, or any of the other images on the Zork Library site?

Thanks.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Hmmm, it depends I suppose on what you intend to use them for. I scanned them and have them on the site so I dont see why you cant use them as well. I mean it was by Infocom NOT Activision and Infocom is MIA, so...
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Also, all of these materials are posted on the Infocom Documentation Project ( http://infodoc.plover.net/ ) and The Infocom Gallery ( http://gallery.guetech.org/ ) sites.

Neither of these sites are officially affiliated with Infocom or ActiVision.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

Yes, but they got permission before reposting it.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

I got a reply from Nino Ruffini.  He has stated that he doesn't want the encyclopedia put on Wikipedia, because then people would be able to modify it...
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

hmmm, not that anyone cant modify right now and redistribute it? some peoples logic...