Upcoming Interview?

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Andy
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Upcoming Interview?

Post by Andy »

Well, out of complete boredom, I decided to "interview" the guy who announced Zork was dead.

Ken Love.

I've e-mailed him with a number of questions and am hoping he can find time to answer them. Because we all like new news regarding Zork, don't we!

Hopefully I'll be able to compile the interview and get it on here by the end of next week. If he replies.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Re: Upcoming Interview?

Post by Andy »

No longer upcoming, here is the Interview!!!

Dear Sir,

Being an active member in the "Zork" and "Infocom" community for almost 10 years now, I would like to ask you a few questions. It has been almost year since your announcement that Zork was dead, and I would be interested in any comments you may have about how this was decided.

Hi Andy.

Good to hear from you. I apologize for having to make this quick, but I've quite a few things on my plate today. :-(

I'll try and answer these a best as possible.

"Let's see what we have here."

Ken Love

Producer
Activision, Inc.

1.      Would it not have been possible to continue Zork the way that Myst has been continued. Fans of the series would have welcomed any new incarnation, so long as the basic principles (i.e. adventuring, treasure hunting, humour) had been included.

Yes. I agree that Zork COULD easily continue to be a good franchise. I cannot speak directly for Activision, as I'm simply not their franchise spokesperson. "Just a Producer here and an avid Retro Gamer." At this point in time, Adventure Games don't seem to be THE GAME that everyone wants. This of course, is my own personal point of view.  I would love to see another Zork / Infocom bannered title come out. I'm just not sure the marker ts there though. If it were, we'd certianly be on it. "..  and that's not just politically correct banter." Absolutely TRUE there are quite a few people like you and I that would be interested in such a title, it's just.. I'm not certain there's ALOT of money to be made in Adventures these days. That is, it doesn't have as big of followinng as it did say, in the mid 80's to early to mid 90's.

Believe me when I say that I'm trying to keep the Infocom name ALIVE and WELL in the minds of certain decision makers here at the Big "A". It's just sorta' hard to do that though, when all they see is Quake, Doom, Tony Hawk and Call Of Duty. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Without going into too much detail ("because I legally can't disclose the info I know"), you and the rest of the Infocommies will see a better portion, if  not ALL of the Infocom titles see the light of day again, shortly. What format? Again, I can't say just yet.. BUT.. I am diligently working on it. I would defiitely keep my eyes peeled on LEGAL Online Distribution sites though. They "Key" to the re-release of these packages though, will be the fact they'll include as much of the original "packaged" materials as well. "Does that mean the buyer will get all of the original - FREEBIES - that were originally given away the first time the user bought the title back in the day?" ... "No." Instead, they'll get nice Hi-Res Scans of those materials. Box, Discs, Various Leaflets, Manuals, Etc. as well as nice color .PDF Game Manuals, Invisiclues and Hint Guides where / when possible.

It'll very similiar in many ways to what I did with the Activision Anthology package on the PS2.

2.      Do you feel that the future of gaming is focused on killing everything and anything in the gamer's path a la Halo 2 and Half Life 2

Mmmm... Well, it would certainly seem for now, it is. :-(

3.      Are you working on anything that may play homeage to Zork or any other Infocom classics?

Yes, but again... I can't say too much until the ink is dry and the Installers completed.

Of Infocom interest, I can say there is some "funny" business going-on with the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy though. ALOT of people claiming they own the rights to OUR game. Although, as well all know... Activision DOES NOT own the story, nor the rights to release the game anymore. We DO own the Infocom game with that title though. I really can't go much deeper into it other than that. Maybe you can read in-between the lines ;-)

4.      One last thing. You wished to know why Infocom classics sell for such a high price. Rerelease the Masterpieces, and see your revenue fly!

Yep. "Knew that." Been in-undated with requests for that title not only here in the US, but over in the UK as well. "I'm on it." I know that it's out of print.

4.      Have you heard of the Zork: Hidden Evil project and what are your thoughts?
No. That must've come around before my time. I did just look it up on the web though. Sadly... IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR THAT GROUUP TO DO MUCH OF ANYTHING WITH THE ZORK LICENSE WITHOUT OUR APPROVAL. I guess on that same note.. Info fans should know that ALL OF THE INFOCOM TITLES EVER RELEASED, ARE NOT ABANDONWARE. Just because we've not done anything with them in recent years does not mean they are FREEWARE.

As bad as it sounds, very shortly.. the Legal Gavel WILL BE falling on alot of those sites hosting the games for Download or Online Play. I apologize for being the bringer of bad news, but.. for all of those reading thise, consider this probably your only warning. :-(

"Sucks. I know."
Last edited by Andy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Final part:

Me: Just one further thing.

Activision did at one point release Zork 1 to 3 for free to download on their Hotel Zork page. Is it still illegal to host these games on web sites?

Ken: "No. I'm afraid that was a looooooong time ago."

Activision did that for a short time, as a sort-of cross promotion for one of their "new" Zork titles.

I remember that too back in the day. '94, '95 or '96, if I recall correctly.

"You don't see those on our site anymore, do ya?"

I think that's where alot of people got the idea that we were giving away all those Zork titles. :-)

Me: I'd really like to thank you for replying, being "interviewed" by me. I might e-mail you in the future, if you don't mind too much.

Ken: No. No prob at all.

I'm a Retro Gaming nut and can often be found at http://www.atariage.com

Take it easy, A.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Whatever... they can kiss my arse... The games were under Infocom, NOT Activision, it was also OVER 20 years ago. They no longer have the power to stop distribution of text adventure games they never owned. They might own the name Zork, but they don't own the original games. It would only be illegal if they re-released them and then it would only be illegal if you distributed the re-released copies, not the originals.

Doing a fan game is NOT ILLEGAL, if not distributed and especially if only for personal use. They said the 'Legal Gavel' regarding the games for download, well if such a thing is done and for whatever reason I can think of that they could even do that, then I would take down the Zork site i have, put up a slander page against the company doing such a thing and NEVER buy a product they make. If they think this is funny, its not. If it were, then why aren't video game mods illegal, why aren't fan fictions illegal, or personal art about a certain thing. There is NO way they could do anything about it.

It will probably be Activision who does it and I already dislike them, this will only make me HATE them, if all Zork fans stuck together and said "Screw you Activision", they would lose a lot of money. This of course is only if Activision did this, which would be total bureaucracy to do that to its loyal fans TRYING to keep people interested in a series so they would buy products. I am a fan of infocom and their minds.
Last edited by DataAngel on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

It makes no sense on their part to shut down people who are only helping them. If they want to monitor the activity to be sure no one is selling Zork games, or pretending to be authorized, I can understand that.

I write fanfic partially in the Harry Potter universe. JK Rowling and her lawyers allow fanfic, just as long as no money is made and no one is pretending to be her.  This is pretty standard practice for most authors, as I understand it. You'll get a few who are more fiercely protective of their characters and universe and disallow all fanfic, but it's not the norm. Certainly Activision cannot feel this 'protectivenes'! If no money is made, they should send thank-you notes to the fan writers (game or otherwise), not lawyers.

Joline