DNS - server downtime

If you must talk about something that isn't about grue slaying, adventuring or even drinking some of that tasty rye, then do it here.

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

DNS - server downtime

Post by DataAngel »

I apologize everyone for the downtime. Since I have a friend who is giving me a free DNS redirect service and he was out of town until wed. it could not be fixed. With that long delay I am back and still alive, so no worries.

Like I keep reminding everyone, TZL will never just disappear like that.

On a good note, I have done some major revamping to the place. I always add atleast something small, hidden or obvious. Take a look around and enjoy!

Some of the updates:
-Removed the individual music files for each game and created ZIP files which contain all the music for each game
-Put up pictures from Nemesis and GI, created a single ZIP for each that contains the pics on the page.
-Now using a rotating background for the main page.
-Put up a recreated Hotel New Zork, as best I could on the data I could find.
Reaver

Re: DNS - server downtime

Post by Reaver »

Oh thank you.  For the last while, I thought something had happened on my computer that prevented me from coming here.  Good to see that the site is back up.

Good news on the updates.
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

Not too shabby...I like the rotating background myself.

And I never mentioned it before, but on another note (still relating to the main site, however), the last time I went to a different computer, I was disconcerted by the mouse pointer--it wasn't the ZGI one I've had for months now! Heh...what a useful site, and only getting more so.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I was happy to be able to get back in! I didn't think the site was gone for good this time. lol. Though I worried how long my computer wouldn't be able to access it even after it came back.

The screenshots make for a nice background for the site. I can't play the graphical Zorks on my laptop. (And my desktop died!) At least I can have the screenshots for wallpaper now. :)

ETA: I see you put up the Z:GI backstory. I'm glad that it is now up where all fans can see it!

I have a good start on the Zork history that is in the Z:GI strategy guide. I'll post a link when I get it done.
Last edited by Siriusstar on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Very good, I really want to put up more Zork backstory, but the problem is I don't want to blatantly copy other stuff from sites. So short of copying it from the books that lets say came with The Zork Anthology... any suggestions? I realize I really should have that stuff up, especially the history of Infocom relating to Zork.

I am always finding something to add, be it obvious or not. There are a couple of new things I am hopefully going to be able to implement soon to make the site more fun.

I am glad you are getting some use from the wallpapers, once I play through RTZ I will have some from that up as well. I just wish it was plausible to grab more sounds from the games.

I'll be waiting patiently for the info. :-}
Last edited by DataAngel on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

I'm not sure there is another way, if you mean the in game histories and backstories. There is some good canon stuff in the original packaging of the text games, but most of that can be found on other sites in some form.

A whole lot it is covered in the Z:GI guide history. Some of it is rather dubious and I wouldn't call ALL of it canon, but I've never seen it anywhere else. I'm actually going to be working on typing it up over the next two weeks.

If I had a site, I might just write descriptions of the stories and backstories in the form af a review for each game.

As for Infocom the company's history... Perhaps the author bios on the game pages, maybe with some links to interviews with them would be good, as well as the original release dates, what collections the games can be found in, etc.

Just some random thoughts.:)
DiamondGenerator
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by DiamondGenerator »

Oooh. If history is what you need, than I have just the site for you.

http://quendor.robinlionheart.com/chronology

Now, I do have a tendency to offer helpful sites to people that they've already seen, but if this one is new to you, don't get too overwhelmed! :)
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

LOL, yes actually I have seen this site a few days ago. :-}