Return to Zork problems...

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

wandering_minstrel
A white house, what?

Return to Zork problems...

Post by wandering_minstrel »

Well, it only took about a million years (ah, an hour) to get the thing installed into my computer.  And, for the first few minutes, everything was fine.

But then, when I entered the lighthouse, I attempted to talk with the man inside.  His mouth moved, but no sound came out!  I tried re-adjusting the sound settings, but to no avail.  Can anyone help me?

...in fact, I don't even need technical help...if anyone would even send me a letter containing what the devil these people are saying (If there aren't too many...needless to say, I'VE YET TO GET PAST THE DARN LIGHT HOUSE).  

Any help at all would be fantastic.

yours

the minstrel
ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: Return to Zork problems...

Post by ezekiel »

Transcript would be too time consuming

first of all which version have you got cd or floppy?
and under what operating system are you running?
if you get DOSBox and D-Fend (frontend) and set up a profile in D-Fend using default setting. Then you will want to change a few propertys of the profile you just created mainly to let rtz start up in full screen, also the cycles will need to be increased to around 5000 to 8000 depending on the speed of your computer. You will need to run the setup program for rtz again once you have created its profile so that it knows which sound card DOSBox is emulating. That should get it working if you understood all that as i dont know how proficient you are with computers
wandering_minstrel
A white house, what?

Post by wandering_minstrel »

I'm using the CD-ROM version...also, Windows ME (so I wasn't surprised it wasn't working so well).  

And I've got about as much computer-know-how as a newt.  A drunken one.  

At least, MS-DOS stuff stumps me.  Other computer stuff not so much, but DOS is like, my Supreme Enemy...so I'm afraid all your good advice is lost on small mind.  Sorry.  

...on a scale of 1 to 10, about how well could I succeed without being able to interact with the characters?  lol...

pathetically yours.

the minstrel
Lilly
A white house, what?

Post by Lilly »

Hey, I've been having that same kind of problem!!  And don't feel bad--i'm DOS inept also.  

I've got no advice, just a common complaint.  Right now I'm trying to just GET THE THING OFF MY COMPUTER!!  It's like, taking up space, and not working, and annoying me.  How do  get it off?

~Lilly
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

to get it of you just delete the folder you installed it into as its a dos game it doesnt install anything outside that folder and it doesnt change any windows settings

to get it to work just download dosbox and d-fend (there is a link in the same web site) and play with d-fend a bit once you installed both so you get a better feel for the enviroment. if you use d-fend with dosbox then you never need to touch a command line

there is no way of completing the game without interacting with people