installing zork

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Beth Eyre

installing zork

Post by Beth Eyre »

k...after hearing so much the game . . and searching HIGH and LOW and I do mean high and low...I finally found it on c.d rom (The Zork Anthology) But I can't install it ..I am asked if I wnt to install it ..I choose start menu and run. I am asked if I wnt to use it through windows or no. I have chosen yes and no but can go no further. It appears  to have frozen up on me. NOw can I unstall through DOS or is my version of windows (98) to much? If so, is there a way I can actually purchase online, the anthology?
Thanx!!
ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: installing zork

Post by ezekiel »

i dont know muc about the zork anthology cd but try using dosbos and d-fender if it is a dos interface other wise try using win95 compatibility mode
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

the games are DOS based, I have the CD... the games can be removed by simply deleting the appropriate folders...

Now as to why they won't run.. hmm they SHOULD run just fine... They don't need sound or any crazy system requirements and should run fine in any command prompt.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

The games do not need sound, so you dont need to worry about dos drivers for that, they also do not need dos4gw drivers as far as I know. They also do not need specific memory requirements such as EMS or XMS due to the extremely small amount of either it uses. So as long as you can run a command prompt in windows it will work. In fact exactly where are you having trouble? You CAN d/l all the games from my site and they work just fine. Theres really no point in worrying about the CD. I shall test Zork 1 right now... Ok, I just ran the .bat file and its running... Id send a screenshot but theres really no point.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Another thing you can do: Download a z-code interpreter, like WinFrotz2002, linked at http://www.d.kinder.btinternet.co.uk/frotz.html

The game files are the .dat files.  Copy the dat files  wherever you want to store them and open them in WinFrotz to play.