XP!!!!!!!!  Grrr!!!!!!!

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Ruse
A white house, what?

XP!!!!!!!!  Grrr!!!!!!!

Post by Ruse »

Son of a...at least Return to Zork turns bloody on, even if the videos won't work!  I have a hope of playing it!

Nemesis just will not run.  It asks me for Disc 1...and Disc 1 is what I have in the bloody bay!  *sniffle*  I tried changing the compatibility mode...didn't work.

This also happened with, get this, The Sims: Makin' Magic...a game made this year no less.  Now it worked on my dad's computer, which runs the saaaame version of XP, except I suspect he isn't SP1.  So I'm wondering if Nem will work on his.

The only way I could get Sims to work on this machine was to download a "Play Without CD" Patch...yeah..good luck with ZNEM, which is dependant on those three discs. *sssigh*

But it's annoying, you know?  I saw someone on here in an old thread mentioning having to have a floppy drive...but what does that have to do with games that run off CDs?  I don't have one...don't have a bay for one, either.  Bleh.

Sorry, just had to rant.  If anyone has any advice aside from tossing my computer out the window, that would be cool. ;)
ezekiel
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: XP!!!!!!!!  Grrr!!!!!!!

Post by ezekiel »

you might find that its your cd/dvd drive thats incompaticble if a game form this year wont run either
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Ezekiel is right, I often find certain games work on my cdrw but not my dvd and vice versa... modern or not. You might want to just buy a cdrom drive for $20... OR you can try using software that emulates the cdrom drive using the hdd...

Found it, thought I had such software... :-}
http://www.daemon-tools.cc
Last edited by DataAngel on Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

That was me who mentioned about having to have a floppy drive.  At least that was my experience.  In addition to the CD/DVD bay, my laptop has a universal bay which can hold either a floppy, a zip, another CD or DVD, or an extra battery.

I found that I could play Nemesis on it only when the floppy drive was in the bay.  Otherwise, it would keep telling me to insert Disk 1 into drive D (or whatever drive it was.)  But, like you said, Disk 1 was in drive D, but the program couldn't seem to see it unless Drive A (the floppy drive) was also present.  My OS was Win2000.

Ruse
A white house, what?

Post by Ruse »

That's so bizarre, Dr. Paul!  I would have never thought such a thing would matter!  Computers are nuts.

Anyway, if I were to get a CD-Rom, it would have to be an external...don't know how much those are, but I don't have any free bays open (except a modem I don't need anymore).

I bought The Sims 2 and it gave me the same error!  BUT on their website it said to turn off any "DVD Emulation Software" like Alcohol 100%, which is what I have...so I did and Sims 2 loaded fine.  So, I'm gonna retry Nemesis and see if that isn't the trouble.  Thanks, DataAngel...I would, but I'm afraid of it screwing with Sims2...that game is so fun it's freaky. ;)  So that gets top priority.

If nothing else I'll try Nem on my dad's computer.  He DOES have a DVD bay, and a regular CRWR bay as well...so maybe I'll get some luck there.  I should try RTZ on it as well, come to think of it.

*sigh*  Compatability issues bite. ;)
Last edited by Ruse on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

it all depends on how games a programmed as programming languages are the same as normal languages; there are many ways to say the same thing but some of those ways assume the valuse of variables like having a floppy drive for example
Scott Ott

Post by Scott Ott »

I had the same problem.  Turns out, Zork didn't like my DVD Emulator (Daemon-Tools).  Uninstalled it and works fine.  I known 'Alcohol' does the same thing...
Maybe that's why other DOS games weren't running right...
Aussie_Zork_Fan
A white house, what?

Post by Aussie_Zork_Fan »

Yes, I have a similar problem with running both RTZ and ZGI on my home computer with XP SP1. It's a Dell Dimension 8300 and the problem is that the 'autoexec.nt' file is not suitable for running the files (even installation files!)

However, my Compaq Evo 115N laptop runs ZGI perfectly with XP SP1 and RTZ runs way too fast.

I managed to find DosBox and I use it to run RTZ at home and on my laptop at the perfect speed. I just mount C as the RTZ folder and D and the CD/DVD drive and all is well. (Remember to mount the CD drive or you would see the movie files.)

DosBox is a life saver IMO, now I just need ZN and I have all the Zork games.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yes, DosBox is great