Zork I bug

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

zrk
A white house, what?

Zork I bug

Post by zrk »

Hello, can anyone help with a Zork I bug I'm encountering? This is running on frotz on OS X with the Zork I data file.

I got to a point where every command I enter is echoed twice with no other result.

For example:

>look
look look ...
>inventory
inventory inventory ...

I think this happened the last time I downloaded Zork as "dungeon." And now with a new download of Zork I I'm seeing the problem again. A Web search didn't turn up any solutions.

If I start a new game it works again, but if I restore my previously saved file I'm stuck with the same problem so I assume continuing with the new game will lead to the same problem eventually.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: I tried from the beginning again and the problem occurs when I take the platinum bar. Right after:

>take platinum bar
bar bar ...
>look
look look ...
>quit (This works, I can quit, but nothing else but quit and restore works)
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Zork I bug

Post by Siriusstar »

It isn't a bug. It's a puzzle!
zrk
A white house, what?

Post by zrk »

Hi Siriusstar. Thanks for responding--I wasn't sure how active the forum is.

Ya know I wondered if it was something like that but it didn't seem quite right (and I didn't come across anything about that in my searching).

Okay so I guess it's up to me to figure it out then!

I started playing Zork II last night because I thought the Zork I thing was a bug. With Zork I I was getting some weird output at times that was definitely program bug related (char references and such IIRC) and nothing like the puzzle.

But now I think I'll go back to Zork I.

Thanks!
zrk
A white house, what?

Post by zrk »

Yeah, so far I'm having no luck with the puzzle and just encountered the following:

>up
Deep Canyon
@Attempt to address illegal object 988. This is normally fatal.
Fatal error: Illegal object
[Hit any key to exit.]

I've had a couple of problems like that with Zork I (as mentioned above) but played Zork II for a while without any errors. I'll restore and try again (saved last night in the middle of the puzzle).

Edit:

I just restored again (still in the midst of the puzzle) and:

>down
down down ...

>west
Round Room
This is a circular stone room with passages in all directions. Several of them
have unfortunately been blocked by cave-ins.
@Attempt to address illegal object 988. This is normally fatal.
[Hit any key to exit.]

I googled "zork "attempt to address illegal object"" but no results.

Maybe I'll go back to Zork II. ;)
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

zrk wrote:Attempt to address illegal object 988. This is normally fatal.
Now that IS a bug. If you're not having any other trouble with Frotz it looks as if your Zork file is corrupted. Perhaps ypu can download the Zork I file from a different source?
zrk
A white house, what?

Post by zrk »

I got the one I'm using here:

http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

I think I ran into similar problems a long time ago with a version called "dungeon" (IIRC that was the original Zork name?).

As mentioned Zork II seems to be running fine so I can always just use that, or keep trying stuff with Zork I.

Thanks. :)
lordgeoff6669
A white house, what?

Post by lordgeoff6669 »

if your in room with platinum bar, its not a bug. its part of puzzle. i haven't had any trouble with frotz although gargoyle would not run a couple of the infocom files i have (don't remember which ones)