Grand Inquisitor on Vista??

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

LearnedAJoke89
A white house, what?

Grand Inquisitor on Vista??

Post by LearnedAJoke89 »

I installed ZGI on my Vista with no problems, but when I try to play the game, it freezes up and says "Please Insert Disc 1"...which of course, I've already done.
Has anyone gotten ZGI to play on Vista before? Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks, LearnedAJoke89
LearnedAJoke89
A white house, what?

Re: Grand Inquisitor on Vista??

Post by LearnedAJoke89 »

OK, I got my Zork Grand Inquisitor to play on Vista just fine. I did some file and folder copying, dropped them in my ZGI folder, changed some file extensions and now it plays. HOWEVER
I was playing great until I got the lantern. Then I tried going down the well with the lantern and the game freezes. EVERY TIME!!!!
I understand that this is a point in the game where I'm supposed to change to disc 2...but it just freezes. Maybe it has something to do with the disc change?
Has anyone ever experience this kind of problem before and does anyone have any answers?
Thanks, LearnedAJoke89
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

If you have followed the how-to posted here on my site then the game should run just fine, please review the how-to for ZGI and if you are still experiencing problems then come back here and post your problem. The how-to has been tested for Vista so it should work.

http://thezorklibrary.com/phpbb/viewtop ... f=15&t=327
moebius
A white house, what?

Post by moebius »

Got grand inquisitor dvd installed on xp, vista and windows 7. Works and without error's. But can't hear the music and can't hear the annoucer so i dont know when to steal the can. Anyone got an idea of what to try?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

That's a good question... does it work in ANY of them? If not... then I suspect there may be something wrong with your soundcard or the settings in the game. The audio worked for me in XP and Vista, I hadn't checked Windows 7, but my understanding was that it would work.
LesLoveless
A white house, what?

Post by LesLoveless »

I'm using Vista as well... After a long amount of struggle, I finally got ZGI to work on my computer PERFECTLY!
My only problem now is that I can save the game, but when I go to restore to a save point the game stops working. I don't know how to fix this...
Joe21030
A white house, what?

Post by Joe21030 »

I have tried several times to load GI on my Vista with dismal results since I always get the message "a file name cannot contain : or \ and several other characters". I must have the game loaded at least 3 times at various locations on my PC but I can't do anything with it. I also tried the automatic setup by Kevin Becker which does all the fixing of the Zassets files and it prompted me for both disks and I see it loaded in the Games file but again, I can't get it to play using Run zgiwin.exe since it comes back as cannot be found. I don't see any other posts on this problem so I am wondering if I am the only one with this issue?
Thanks
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Unfortunately I am unsure why the game will not restore without crashing. I know that I do have some random issues with the game failing to restore games. The issue could be numerous, 64bit OS problems, dual core problems, vista/win7 issues, too many to know. However If I recall correctly, it would work so long as I was FAST when loading the restore screen and choosing a game to restore. Taking my time seemed to cause the game to freeze.

Again, try compatibility modes... unfortunately, as time goes on, support for and the ability to run these games will fade and disappear, so I suggest you get the most out of them while you can!
Joe21030
A white house, what?

Post by Joe21030 »

I was wondering if DataAngel had any advice for me to at least get the game started. Please see my previous post about creating files in Visa. How did ya'll do that?
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I am not sure I understand your question. Files are copied directly from the discs and only a single file is copied/modified and it is a .zix file. It can be downloaded as well. Did you follow my how-to? Please let me know if you did and if what steps if any did not work.
Joe21030
A white house, what?

Post by Joe21030 »

OK, DataAngel, thanks for the info. You were right as I had followed several other recommendations to install but I had not tried your directions which worked great. Thanks again.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Glad I could help! Now, go forth adventurer. find your treasure, and slay some ogres!