RTZ last act

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

RTZ last act

Post by DrPaul »

I have to admit something that I'm deeply ashamed of.  Years agor, I've came this close (holds thumb and index finger almost touching) to finishing the game but couldn't get across that #$%^& bridge.  I still have the saved game, and have tried it again, but to no avail.

I've looked at several walkthrough to try and figure out the problem but, as far as I can tell, I've done everything correctly.  What am I missing.

I know that, at the bridge, I have to start throwing my inventory at it.  The bridge gradually lowers, and as I through more, it starts rising.  I get the messages bridge raising up 1 and bridge raising up 2.  After the "bridge raising up 2" message, I have three inventory items left.  Apparently, that isn't enough to succeed.

Here is a list of my complete inventory before I start throwing it:

thermozz
sword
neckless
knife
illuminite rock
rope
mirror
rusty metal thing
rag
coins
fairy dust
book
arrows
puzzle
wire
key(s)
key
bonding plant
stick
talon
box
helmut
shield
carrots
hay
bow
flask
matches
teleorb

Am I missing something?  Is there something here that I should not throw?  Is there any particular order or something I should save 'till last.  This has frustrated me for years.

I'm hoping one of you RTZ experts can help.
Sorry I don't remember how many points I had at this point in the game.  I *think* it was 217.  If that's important, I'll double check.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: RTZ last act

Post by DataAngel »

I finished the game but I don't recall what I did. I believe the following list is accurate, so go over this list and see if you are missing anything.

At this point you MUST have the following:
Shield Fear Necklace Zorkmids Flask
Helmet Knife Matches Bow
Arrows Tele-Orb Box Rope
Fairy Dust Thermozz Talon Witch Stick
Sword Illuminite Puzzle Carrots
Hay Mirror Metal Thing Rag
Book Wire Boos Keys Gold Key
Bonding Plant
Now, start tossing EVERYTHING at the Citadel Bridge (into the fire.)
ishashobar
A white house, what?

Post by ishashobar »

try to replay the game again?... it only takes me 5 hours abouy
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

DAT,
I have all of the items in the list and I threw all of them at the bridge.  It's not enough.

Do any of you guys have a saved game at this point in the game.  If so, could you try throwing the items in and make a note of when the messages like raising up, raising up 1, raising up 2 messages occur?

I got the raising up 2 message after the 26th item was tossed.  

Ishashobar,
You can get through RTZ in 5 hours?  Wow.  I'm sure it would take me at least twice that long, even with a walkthrough.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

According to the unofficial strategy guide. (I can't lay my hands on the official one.) This is what you need to do to cross the bridge:

Items in inventory: (In the Citadel of Zork) Map, photos, camera, tape recorder, matches, knife, Tele-Orb, bonding plant, notebook, box, key, set of keys, silver flask, coins, coin, sword, book, thermozz, mirror, puzzle, illumynite rock, fairy dust, bow, arrows, wire, witch's stick, shiny metal object, shield, helmet, rope, talon, necklace.

One by one select items from your inventory and throw them at the Citadel Bridge. When you are through, the only items remaining will be the map, photo album, notebook, camera and tape recorder. At that point the bridge will be safe to cross.

Here's another bit of info from the strategy guide:

As it turns out, the original bridge cannot be crossed at all. As you continue tossing items at the bridge, the original bridge sinks out of view- only to be replaced by a new Citidel Bridge that rises on the right. when everything but the essential items (map, photo album, notebook, camera and tape recorder) have been tossed, the new bridge appears and is safe to use.  You won't need any items in the next scene, anyway.

And this from the Universal Hint System:

If you don't have enough items, (to make the bridge steady) you can get all the items at the disk forge back. You can also get some more meat from Snoot's fridge, and some extra carrots.

Hope it helps!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Email sent and I have lots of saves and I should have them up to that point so you can try my saves.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Siriusstar,
The list you posted shows coins and coin.  I only have coins.  But I haven't heard anyone else mention 'coin' either.  Also, I had a rusty metal thing and a rag whereas most people seem to have a shiny metal thing and no rag.

I guess I could try shining my rusty metal thing up, but I think I lose the rag when I do that.

Failing that, maybe I'll try to get some extra carrots.

Anyway, the idea of getting a few more carrots seems like a good one.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

Dat,

I received the savegame files from you.  I tried loading the one at the citadel and throwing all the inverntory, but it wasn't enough either.  Did that work for you?

If so, my computer is processing the items differently.

Since I still couldn't get across, I gave your next saveed game a try (the one in which the bridge was crossable) and was at least able to play the final Survivor game and see the end.

Thanks for that.  Finally, I saw the ending.  But I still gotta figure out why the bridge/inventory doesn't work right on my computer.  Everything else in the game seems to work right.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yes it worked for me or else I wouldn't have made it past. All this non-functioning gaming makes me want to install and try it. Try the order in the list I posted above, I don't recall if it matters or not though.
Siriusstar
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Siriusstar »

According to the guide you pick up the extra coin at Moodock's Armory. (Presumably after winning the 'Survivor' game.)

It seems 'the 'shiny metal thing' is only important if you don't have Rebecca's mirror for getting away from Canuck unducked.

I seem to remember some 'trick' to the bridge, but I just can't recall what it was. I'll have to keep it in mind when I get to replay RTZ.
chimpoo
A white house, what?

Post by chimpoo »

The coin is probably the only thing you were missing.  At the point in the game where you ring the bell to summon the ferryman, you need to only show him the coin and not give it to him.  It's kind of stupid.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I wonder if one really has to have the coin (as opposed to coins) to cross the bridge.  The reason I'm wondering is because the saved game that DAT sent me didn't have the coin or the rag, but he apparently was able to cross.  I tried from the same saved game on my computer and it didn't work.  

Two possibilities: My computer isn't counting the items correctly (a bug) or DAT has forgotten that he had to go and get some additional inventory item(s).

How to tell:  As  you toss items at the bridge, you are occasionally given a report of bridge falling, bridge falling 1, 2...bridge raising, bridge raising 1,2...

If someone, with a saved game would replay the bridge scene and keep track of objects thrown and when the various messages appear, we could check the synchronization between objects and bridge position.

It would be nice if DAT would do this since I've already got his saved game but it fails to rais the bridge on my computer.  DAT's already done a lot by sending me his saved games, so I hate to impose again.
Last edited by DrPaul on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yeah it was VERY difficult to email the saves, took me a minute or two. Man I am wiped out. I may try, won't take long to do so.
ishashobar
A white house, what?

Post by ishashobar »

you could have always gotten some more bat guano and carrots
the briges position stayes the same
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I don't remember where the guano is, but I tried geting more carrots, hay, meat, anything I could find that I could 'get'.  But nothing seemed to be 'getable'.  Are you guys just assuming you can get more carrots, or have any of you actually done it?  

When I go back to the farm and try to pickup some carrots, the pile of carrots is inactive (not clickable).