Keys to Zork question

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Zork Lover

Keys to Zork question

Post by Zork Lover »

Hi Zork fans - I was thinking today, if you had to name the biggest key to success in Zork games, what would it be??
I chose Patience!
What do you all think??
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Keys to Zork question

Post by Nemesis »

Please sign up...we could use another face around here...

Biggest key...the will not to cheat.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

the key has got to be its uniqueness and humor... or not humour as in Nemesis
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

It's an entire world, with geography history and culture (though contradictory at times).
Painless
A white house, what?

Post by Painless »

The Key to Zork is free time... or the will to lose your job because of Zork, and thusly gain -lots- of free time!
drex_ej

Post by drex_ej »

The ability to not take any situation to seriously, and realize that a lot of the puzzles really do relate to the real world.

And a very good imagination (especially *bad spelling* if your playing the text games)
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Oh yeah, it's good you've finally decided to do a bit of posting drex, I believe you've been a member too long for the previous amount. (of posts)
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

I agree with Not_Afgncaap5 about the history and culture.  I have tried repeatedly to find a new adventure game to replace Zork, but none of them can do it.  I can't even buy the games.  And I realized it is because none of them have the history (both real and fictional) that Zork has.  There are several bits of history that is in no way needed for the game, not even in the slightest, yet it is there anyway.

And never suggest Myst to me.  I have had the urge to destroy any copy that I have seen.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

HAHAHAHA...

Myst isn't that great. I mean its just not Zork. I can think of MANY games that are better than Myst. The old Kyrandia series for one. I could go on and on. ;-}
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Myst was okay for one play through, but I haven't touched them since.
drex_ej

Post by drex_ej »

I liked Myst III: Exile - It's about as close to I.F. as they come now a days.

No typing, but instead of typing N,S,W,E, you click your way through the game.  The puzzles are creative enough, and it makes for some thinking.

The graphics are great, and you don't need to fight or beat your way through it, just wander around solving puzzles - sounds like the basis of most I.F. games - though it doesn't require the creativity of puting things together all across the game board, I still think its as close as anyone has come with a graphic based game.

And yes I still prefer the challenge of the text based, carrying things around and having to think enough to put your actions into words.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

well clicking in directions, all games do that, theres no other way to move around the world. My problem is that you have NO inventory. Some may disagree, but all the fun of adventure games comes from inventory items.

Remember in ZGI, the permasuck machine, I mean thats funny, but would be lame if you just flipped a switch and viola...

Also, remember when you had to cut that plant and take it to the back of the DMs house etc. that was funny as well, but without inventory it would have been lame.
drex_ej

Post by drex_ej »

I agree completly, but like I said, as good as it gets with todays graphic games. Z:The not included of course!
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Nemesis is the greatest game that doesn't use inventory. I don't know what it is, but it manages to kick ass without the use of inventory. If it had inventory, it might have blown up my computer. Either that, or it really would have made the game suck.
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by DrPaul »

I never thought of Nemesis as not having an inventory.  Small and limited though it is.  But it is possible to 'hold' multiple items, and right click on the cursor to toggle through the inventory.