Welcome to the new admin of TZL!

If it has to do with The Zork Library, then youll hear about it in here!
Zork is a copyright of Activision

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Welcome to the new admin of TZL!

Post by DataAngel »

Welcome KM3K to the new admin of TZL. I am glad to have found someone willing and able to keep TZL up and running at least for now! I hereby grant thee all rights and priviledges to TZL. Do Zork proud! And please give him a warm welcome! 8)

Its been a great ride, thanks for the support and the positive comments by many of you. Don't forget to keep the Zork spirit alive by stopping in every once in a while and checking to see that TZL is still alive and kicking... 12 years strong!

-DAT, TZL Founder in 1998
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Re: Welcome to the new admin of TZL!

Post by KM3K »

Thanks DAT! I'm pleased to be able to continue your work!

My first priority is ensuring that the website functions as it always has now that it has been transitioned to my web server. If you can see this, you're viewing the page on my web server. If you have any problems, let me know! As you may be aware, I also maintain a set of Zork game installation guides at my website. In the near future, those will be moved to a thezorklibrary.com address. After that, I intend to incorporate them into the forum and merge them with the guides written by DAT.

Beyond that, I would like to explore where TZL can expand. I plan to look into phpbb modifications to add new features to the forums and create a presence for TZL on social networks like Facebook and Twitter to attract other fans of Zork that may not be familiar with TZL.

If you have any suggestions on ways TZL can improve, let me know! I'd like to keep this community runnning for years to come because it's just about the last place on the internet to find all this valuable information about Zork!
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Great to see someone's willing to take over for a while. This is just a suggestion and may help (or not). We need to open up a board forum for matters of "Legends of Zork" which is (as much as many don't want to accept) the new Activision Zork game. Jolt Online is slowly starting to introduce new things into the game, and I'm sure they're working on improvements, so far I'm enjoying my time there. Clan life is great and I've already been promoted in my clan 'the Pirates'. I received a coconut from them last month and also got coconuts from the "case of the missing pooky" quest plus I bought my own coconuts. Life is good!

It would be helpful to list help for some of the quests here. If only I knew how the board coding works here (I'm a mediawiki girl) I'd try to list the way to solve the clues. Particularly I found the clue for "The Baron and his Boy (Level 20)" in the Zork Compendium http://thezorklibrary.com/history/ unfortunately it was really hard to find through search engine! Any reason why that portion of the site can not be accessed from here?

Since the complete Encyclopedia Frobozzica is there, it should be accessible from here. Took me a long time to find it http://thezorklibrary.com/history/00-encyclopedia.html

The one in sourceforge.net is a total mess, and incomplete: http://jzip.sourceforge.net/frobozz/froba.html
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Anyhow thanks for taking this project and keeping it alive for a while longer, don't give up!

Lil
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

MacCentris wrote:Great to see someone's willing to take over for a while. This is just a suggestion and may help (or not). We need to open up a board forum for matters of "Legends of Zork" which is (as much as many don't want to accept) the new Activision Zork game. Jolt Online is slowly starting to introduce new things into the game, and I'm sure they're working on improvements, so far I'm enjoying my time there. Clan life is great and I've already been promoted in my clan 'the Pirates'. I received a coconut from them last month and also got coconuts from the "case of the missing pooky" quest plus I bought my own coconuts. Life is good!
Thanks for the feedback! I have been considering doing more with Legends of Zork here. Would others like to see a board for discussion of Legends of Zork? I played a lot of it when it first was released but got tired of it. I recently tried it again and see that they have expanded it a lot in recent months. I created a The Zork Library clan just to try it out, but never did anything with it. Maybe we can decide on one clan for members of TZL, whether it's the one I made, this Pirates clan, or another.
MacCentris wrote:It would be helpful to list help for some of the quests here. If only I knew how the board coding works here (I'm a mediawiki girl) I'd try to list the way to solve the clues. Particularly I found the clue for "The Baron and his Boy (Level 20)" in the Zork Compendium http://thezorklibrary.com/history/ unfortunately it was really hard to find through search engine! Any reason why that portion of the site can not be accessed from here?
I agree that help with the quests and general guides to playing Legends of Zork would be useful. I'd like to add something like that soon.

The Zork Compendium is a separate project developed by LordSkylark that I'm hosting too. It is promoted at http://thezorklibrary.com/phpbb/viewtop ... f=15&t=326 and is mentioned in a few other spots. Unfortunately a lot of people probably don't find it.
MacCentris wrote:Since the complete Encyclopedia Frobozzica is there, it should be accessible from here. Took me a long time to find it http://thezorklibrary.com/history/00-encyclopedia.html
I would like to find a way to better promote that site once I get time to learn how to modify the look of the forum more.
MacCentris wrote:The one in sourceforge.net is a total mess, and incomplete: http://jzip.sourceforge.net/frobozz/froba.html
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Anyhow thanks for taking this project and keeping it alive for a while longer, don't give up!

Lil
Yeah there's a lot of old, incomplete Zork info floating around the internet. Hopefully over time, The Zork Library will be able to be the best source for it all! Thanks again for the feedback :-)
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

I have now added a new Legends of Zork forum as a subform of Zork Chat. Feel free to talk about whatever you want related to Legends of Zork in there. http://thezorklibrary.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=18

MacCentris, if you want to write a guide on quests, you can put it there. I'll go in and clean up the formatting later if you want me to.
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

Thank you so much! Yes definitely I'd love to help out with the quests I'll need to start gathering clues soon. Also I'll join the Zork Library Clan in a heartbeat, can you post URL? Since I have 5 characters, I can join with a couple. If you make a sticky in the clan messages welcoming users and inviting them to TZL's there will definitely have more users coming here. Also I can start inviting people to the clan immediately! :D

I looked at LoZ's Alexa's traffic rank: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/legendsofzork.com#
Quite impressive, they've got something there... 8)
lordskylark
A white house, what?

Post by lordskylark »

My History of Zork / Encyclopedia Frobozzica is designed to be more of an in-canon history/dictionary, rather than a walkthrough. Thus some of the Legends of Zork quests have the solutions to the problems, while others are omitted entirely (although I did have the complete text for all the Legends of Zork quests (save the level 60 quest, since I have not added that information to the Encyclopedia yet) in the "resource" section of 'The Zork Compendium."

But as the compiler of that information, I too definitely would like to see that part more promoted. Heh. And I plan to continue to update the website as Legends of Zork (or, Lord willing, another Zork game is created). As I have managed to hunt down many rare Zork resources, I also will continue to expand the encyclopedia as more materials are released.

Currently, I am trying to make the entries more interlinked with hyperlinks, etc -- but that takes a long time to go through a few thousand entries. And I also am in the process of finishing up other entries too. Not much to go, but still takes lots of time which I have less than I had last year when I did a majority of the work.

Blessings,
Andy
MacCentris
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by MacCentris »

lordskylark wrote:And I plan to continue to update the website as Legends of Zork (or, Lord willing, another Zork game is created).
I hear ya, I have the feeling that LoZ is supposed to be a site to help the launch of a retail Zork game Activision might be launching later. I mean, it makes some sense when you give it some thought... the memories of Zork were starting to fade away as more teenagers flooded the web who have absolutely no clue what Zork is/was. All of a sudden they launch a retail Zork game for us "the older crowd"? Hmm, nope it wouldn't work... they need to target gamers. They need something to revive the memory of the long lost forgotten zork history... (I mean really guys back in 2006 or so, you were lucky to find Zork information in the web at all). So they made a browser based game that will refresh the memories, stir up some news, get some faithful members and... tada! -- ok, wishful thinking I know, but it does make sense doesn't it?

Oh by the way do you have url to the clan you mentioned earlier? Sorry I looked and looked but can't seem to find anything with Zork Library on it :(
allenmarton
A white house, what?

Post by allenmarton »

nice and informative posts,i really like this forum very much...