Zork and Windows 8

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Zork and Windows 8

Post by KM3K »

Does anyone here use Windows 8 yet? If so, have you tried any Zork games?

I assume that the text Zork games will work fine in whichever interpreter you use, RTZ will work fine in ScummVM/DOSBox and ZN will work fine in DOSBox, but what about the Windows versions of Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor? I'm curious to hear how these games are working out for people on Windows 8. I don't have Windows 8 yet myself and I don't expect to get a chance to use it extensively for quite a while.
Mythril
A white house, what?

Re: Zork and Windows 8

Post by Mythril »

I couldn't get the original game exe to work properly (the graphics didn't work properly), but I got it to work with ZEngine! Hups, I can't link to the page, but the link is on this site anyways.

Though that page says that it doesn't fully support the DVD version, I did manage to start and play the game so far! Videos seem to work too. :)

I'm using Windows 8 64-bit with NVidia GTX 690.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

Great! I haven't tried the DVD version of ZGI lately with ZEngine. Last time I tried it, it kept crashing on me with the DVD version of the game. I'll have to try it again soon.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

Just a little bump to present the latest info on this issue. I've heard that ZEngine makes Zork Grand Inquisitor and Zork Nemesis work under Windows 7 and 8. See our install guides website for details.

On a related note, GOG.com now lists support for Windows 8 on all the Zork games they sell. That's probably because they all use interpreters of some sort (frotz, DOSBox or ZEngine).